Director's Cut - by Simon Shaw

Review area devoted to tricks and effects where props are involved.

Moderators: Lady of Mystery, nickj, Mandrake, bananafish, support, Rob

Sorcery Shop - Home of the ITR Aeternum Servare Secreta UK's Online Magic Tricks and Jokes Shop offers kids and beginner magic tricks and jokes. World-Of-Magic, Suppliers of quality Magic Worldwide Dude That's Cool Magic Manufacturer of modern & unique magic apparatus!

Postby Mandrake » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:03 pm



Jobasha wrote:Your all heading to the circle of hell
Yup - and taking some rattling good magic with us :D !!

User avatar
Mandrake
.
 
Posts: 27010
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 8:00 pm
Location: UK (70:AH)

Postby Jobasha » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:45 pm

I've had a lot of fun with this one. It's a good theme for a routine. Just need my mates to improve their knowledge of movies. I've had to lend out quite a few from my movie collection to fill in their blanks.

User avatar
Jobasha
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 1038
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 10:38 am
Location: Hull, UK (25:AH)

Postby Paul Smith » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:18 pm

Tried this out for the first time last night.

After a great reaction from the first effect, went into the drawing dupe and got an amazing reaction.

One of the nicest bits of mentalism I own, fabulous props and a great instructional DVD, and a different outcome every time, well almost!

Paul

Paul Smith
Junior Member
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:34 pm
Location: MIDDLESBROUGH (36:AH)

Postby gunnarkr » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:13 am

I tried Director's Cut out on family members just after Christmas and I must say, it is absolutely brilliant.
Then I tried it out in public during a pub stroll last night with some buddies from the Magic Guild of Iceland and it did wonders!

We went to a few pubs and showed magic around tables in each of them and it amazed me that out of 10 strangers, about 4 or 5 of them choose Silence of the Lambs, while the others choose movies like Bambi, iRobot, Die Hard ... :)
Image

I kind of fell for the method where you (after mixing the cards up) turn them towards the spectator and tell him to imagine he's at a Video rental looking at the DVDs and ask him to touch any he has viewed already and knows. Then I tell him to take the card, show it to his friends and then push it somewhere in the middle of the deck, face down, imagining he's putting the DVD in the player and he pushes the PLAY button. (I even thought it could be fun to have a small remote control to enhance the atmosphere). I then put the cards away and ask the spectator to imagine the movie is starting...

I agree totally with Mandrake, this effect gets 10 out of 10!

Congratulations Simon!

gunnarkr
Elite Member
 
Posts: 2095
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:56 pm

Postby thchang » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:07 am

I got it 2 days ago, it's really simple to perform.

However, instead of receiving a complete deck of cards

I got 1 missing card, and instead, 1 duplicate card ><
noooooo

thchang
New User
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:35 am
Location: Australia

Postby bananafish » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:52 am

thchang wrote:However, instead of receiving a complete deck of cards
I got 1 missing card, and instead, 1 duplicate card

Speak to the shop you bought it from - I am sure they will send you a new set out if you send the old one back.

User avatar
bananafish
Consultant Moderator
 
Posts: 5813
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:43 am
Location: Simon Shaw. Suffolk, UK (50:SH)

DC

Postby Card Detective » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:26 am

I am sorry I just don´t understand the hipe about something which could simply be reproduced using an equivalent [edited by mods] or similar. Presentation in anything is all, but what else is there?.

Card Detective
Full Member
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:21 am
Location: Spain

Re: DC

Postby Replicant » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:37 am

Card Detective wrote:I am sorry I just don´t understand the hipe about something which could simply be reproduced using an equivalent [edited by mods] or similar. Presentation in anything is all, but what else is there?.


I'm not sure I understand your point. The fact that film posters are used means that the method, for all intents and purposes, is invisible. In addition, everyone watches films so the effect can (and does) generate a lot of interest and discussion amongst spectators; for the right audience, I suspect the horror edition will prove very popular indeed. Even if the usual method fails (which it has on a couple of occasions, for me at least), then there are other backup methods you can use. That's one of the great things about this product. Seriously, once you start performing DC/DCII, you'll start to appreciate the effect it has on participants and spectators.

User avatar
Replicant
Elite Member
 
Posts: 3951
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:46 pm
Location: Hertfordshire, UK (36:AH)

Postby Card Detective » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:28 am

I guess what I am saying is that there are "tricks" that are hiped up and priced beyond what they are worth. The description of the effect is also often vague. These days video imaging is offered as part of the marketing but seldom runs through the full performance. The cut aways and incidental special effects don´t allow those watching a full performance to fully asses its efectiveness and the suitablility to one´s performance conditions and ability. The description of the effect hides the modus operandi, no problem with that, except that sometimes when a particular method is used, one is left with the opinion that rather than it being sold commertially it should have been committed to print in a magic publication. Sell the props by all means after publication.

Card Detective
Full Member
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:21 am
Location: Spain

Postby gypsyfish » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:11 am

Card Detective wrote:I guess what I am saying is that there are "tricks" that are hiped up and priced beyond what they are worth. The description of the effect is also often vague. These days video imaging is offered as part of the marketing but seldom runs through the full performance. The cut aways and incidental special effects don´t allow those watching a full performance to fully asses its efectiveness and the suitablility to one´s performance conditions and ability. The description of the effect hides the modus operandi, no problem with that, except that sometimes when a particular method is used, one is left with the opinion that rather than it being sold commertially it should have been committed to print in a magic publication. Sell the props by all means after publication.


Here's a youtube 'movie' showing one of the many effects you can use with Director's Cut: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbSXtHkN6BE

It lives up to all the hype. Prediction, mindreading, design duplication, NLP - you can do them all. You can even treat it as a magic trick rather than mentalism. It's not over-priced, especially when you consider the DVD and booklet that comes with it.

I understand what you're saying about how some descriptions or the movies they provide in the ads being vague, but both versions of Director's Cut are winners.

gypsyfish
Full Member
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:53 am
Location: Seoul, Korea

Postby liverpool 7 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:19 pm

After reading the reviews and watching the Youtube vid' i've orderd DCII Because I'm a fan of Horror films. Although I'm new to mentalism i couldn't resist buying this. I've got 1 or 2 ideas for routines, patter etc. I'll let you know how i get on. :)

User avatar
liverpool 7
Full Member
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Doncaster (50:AH)

Postby bananafish » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:35 am

Card Detective wrote:I am sorry I just don´t understand the hipe about something which could simply be reproduced...Presentation in anything is all, but what else is there?.


Card Detective wrote:I guess what I am saying is that there are "tricks" that are hiped up and priced beyond what they are worth. The description of the effect is also often vague.


Card Detective wrote:The description of the effect hides the modus operandi, no problem with that, except that sometimes when a particular method is used, one is left with the opinion that rather than it being sold commertially it should have been committed to print in a magic publication. Sell the props by all means after publication.


Hi Juan.

I am not sure where to start with this, because your first post implied you thought DC was all hype and you couldn't see the point, but your second post hinted that you were merely asking if others thought it was hype.

You also said you didn't mind when "The description of the effect hides the modus operandi", and yet in your first post you were quite happy to hint at what that modus operandi was.

As it happens I wasn't overly unhappy with that as I have no problem with performers knowing what it is all about up front. What I don't like though is lay people knowing what it is all about up front, and as these forums are open to google searches - I would rather that sort of information not be disclosed openly.

You also mention the youtube clip was ambigous - but in fact - that clip would only be for one of the many things that can be done with the films.
Normally, If you want to know more about an effect, just phone the magic dealer. Most are more than happy to describe the sorts of things that can be achieved, Remember these clips are available for everyione to see, not just performers, so it is important not to allow them to be backtracked at all, else you would be doing a diservice to everyone that has bought it (and indeed a diservice to magic)

The manuscripts took a long time to complete. DC Horror has a section on Peeking, Mixing, Selecting, it has a hints and tiips section, a synopsis of all films, plus 15 different ideas for effects. The films are included - plus there is a dvd that highlights just a few of the effect ideas.

I carry one version or another of DC around with me at all times. It has on many occasions secured me gigs. I have a vast variety of effects I use the cards for, and I am constantly coming up with new ideas. So for me. DC (1 and 2) are worth far more than what they are marketted at,
I did think this was pretty good value for money - but I guess that is true only if you will use it. Like anything else. If you buy it and decide never to use it, it is niot good value for money.

The bottom line though is quite simple. If you don't think it will be value for money - don't buy it. I know that it is not for everyone. I don't have a problem with that.

Remember though. It is not an effect. It is a tool for achieving many effects, and it is nice to see that others posting in this thread have grasped that.

User avatar
bananafish
Consultant Moderator
 
Posts: 5813
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:43 am
Location: Simon Shaw. Suffolk, UK (50:SH)

Postby Card Detective » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:29 pm

I guess I am saying two things. I am saying that when we take up magic as a hobby and go through the description of effects or these days watch video demos we are often not given the full facts. I for one have been dissappointed after a purchase. Not because I didn´t like the effect, but that I could not achieve the effect described with the information given before the sale. In other words it didn´t fit into the set I was expecting it to fit into. That because the description was incomplete to hide the method or these days because of the editing that goes on for a better "effect" upon the prospective buyer. My view is, if you are going to show a video for marketting purposes, then show it all without cutting away.
My second point is that when some effects are achieved using standard methods then rather than these being sold they might be better within the pages of a magical magazine. By all means sell the materials needed to perform the effect after publication.
Could be I use to read too many Abras with articles by great magicians who were happy for their effects to be privately manufactured by the readers. LOL
I have only just watched the Youtube presentation, two actually, and I liked what I saw, no cut aways or editing. All in one take, which is how it should be. I do not however think that Youtube should be a storefront for these adverts. Otherwise make two versions. One edited for muggles and an unedited version for magicians so the worth of the unedited material can be considered for performance situations etc.
Bananfish makes another good point at the end. The props are the tool for a good presentation. I agree.

Card Detective
Full Member
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:21 am
Location: Spain

Postby Part-Timer » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:39 pm

I think it would have been absurd to put this in a journal. I don't buy magic magazines and it would have been lost on me. I would never have bought Simon's props alone and I doubt I am the only one who feels that way.

I loved the first edition so much, I offered to help with the follow-up (and hope I was more of a help than a hindrance).

I have to say that it has been a long time since I was misled by an advert, but you do have to sit down and read between the lines. Nowadays, word of mouth is very important (or word of finger, perhaps, as we're online), and it's pretty easy to find out what people really think.

Most dealers I know are pretty honest about products. I've had warnings about things from Keith Bennett and Mal at Top Secret Magic and good advice from them too, as well as people at Alakazam.

I agree about people trying to hide weaknesses in methods with heavily edited videos. I like Jay Sankey, but that one he did with the list of items made me highly suspicious, and I was sure it was a familiar method, with the workings cut out of the performance video. It was, but it was this forum that confirmed the fact. Used wisely, the internet is a great device for gathering information, especially reivews (and not just for magic).

Part-Timer
Elite Member
 
Posts: 3085
Joined: Thu May 01, 2003 12:51 pm
Location: London (44:SH)

Postby IAIN » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:51 pm

you have to remember, as much as people would like it to be, its not the "good old days" where everything was published in a magazine or shared between friends and that was that...

you genuinely do get people these days studying demos to try and suss out the workings behind the effect - just so they can go and reveal it to their fellow idiot friends...so i can understand why sometimes clips are edited...

as for DC, i think the base argument is a little weak, that it "just" uses a certain technique...ANY effect could "just" use a certain technique...it doesnt matter ultimately...its how it plays out for the punters that matter...

its like saying "tut! not ANOTHER swami effect...there's already loads in 13 steps"...

bit of a poor analogy, granted - but hopefully i've made my point...

films are by nature, emotive things - a million times more than playing cards as an example...instead of speeding ever forward to the grand reveal, you have the scope, the space, and the emotional connect to play with...a bit better than "oooh the jack of spades!"... :D

IAIN
 

PreviousNext

Return to Reviews - Tricks 'n Props

Visit Magicbox for all the latest and best effects! MagicWorld Magic Shop for Magic Tricks A web site set up to sell my book, THE STRIPPER DECK, and future magical/mentalism titles. ink cartridges Web Design for Magicians Best prices around! Playing Cards for Magicians Best prices around!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests