Nana’s Necklace by Dean Dill

Review area devoted to tricks and effects where props are involved.

Moderators: Mandrake, bananafish, Lady of Mystery, support, nickj

Best prices around! World-Of-Magic, Suppliers of quality Magic Worldwide Dude That's Cool Magic Manufacturer of modern & unique magic apparatus! Web Design for Magicians Best prices around!

Re: Nana’s Necklace by Dean Dill

Postby Discombobulator » Sep 1st, '12, 17:05



I know this is a very old post, but I have just rediscovered my Nana's necklace in a drawer and plan to bring it back to life.
(Price update: Currently £24.99 @ Magicbox)

The handling is OK for me, but I am struggling with the premise and the patter.

All the Youtube videos simply say .. I do this, then I do that, then I tie this here and TADA it comes away.
I hate, with a passion, just giving a running commentary.

Any patter ideas other than the smutty 'holding my balls' ?
Why would I tie ropes around the specs hand ?
Does the spec know they have invisible holes in their hands ?
Can it be combined with a prediction or something else ?

¿ sɹoɹɹıɯ ʎq ǝuop ןןɐ sʇı
"who? no I dont know him", Derren Brown
"no idea who he is !", Kenton Knepper
"Is he a magician ?", Penn&Teller
Discombobulator
Senior Member
 
Posts: 677
Joined: Nov 15th, '05, 00:30
Location: Newcastle (58:AH)

Re: Nana’s Necklace by Dean Dill

Postby Discombobulator » Sep 1st, '12, 17:43

OK, here is a way to prevent the problem of the whatnots separating when the ball is moved to the middle, and a possibility for a follow-on.
I use these steel nuts instead of coloured balls These are great because the narrow neck of the nuts grips the chord while the wide barrel conveniently covers the whatnot without dismantling the gimmick in the way that the wooden balls sometime do.

Each nut has 6 faces and I have the numbers 1 to 6 written on each face.
After the effect has finished, they drop the steel nuts onto the table and I NW a prediction for the numbers that are visible.

Still looking for a patter idea though

The innuendo does not go away :-(
Instead of holding my balls the spec is now holding my nuts.

nut.jpg


¿ sɹoɹɹıɯ ʎq ǝuop ןןɐ sʇı
"who? no I dont know him", Derren Brown
"no idea who he is !", Kenton Knepper
"Is he a magician ?", Penn&Teller
Discombobulator
Senior Member
 
Posts: 677
Joined: Nov 15th, '05, 00:30
Location: Newcastle (58:AH)

Re: Nana’s Necklace by Dean Dill

Postby Mr Grumpy » Sep 3rd, '12, 19:46

I can't help thinking this trick is just an excuse to publicly experiment with mild b***age with old ladies.

I think I will buy it though!

However, not sure about taking up pocket space for something so quick. How bulky is it? Looks quite large in the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJTIptGnQgo

User avatar
Mr Grumpy
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 1021
Joined: Nov 22nd, '09, 13:25
Location: Manchester 39:WP

Re: Nana’s Necklace by Dean Dill

Postby Mr Grumpy » Sep 3rd, '12, 19:49

http://www.magicbox.uk.com/nanaand-39-s-necklace.html

It says the velvet thingies are red. I'd prefer black. Anyone know if you can get black somewhere?

User avatar
Mr Grumpy
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 1021
Joined: Nov 22nd, '09, 13:25
Location: Manchester 39:WP

Re: Nana’s Necklace by Dean Dill

Postby Mr Grumpy » Sep 3rd, '12, 19:51

Oh, just noticed although it says red in the description, you can choose black or red in a drop down box to the right.

ADD TO CART !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
Mr Grumpy
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 1021
Joined: Nov 22nd, '09, 13:25
Location: Manchester 39:WP

Re: Nana’s Necklace by Dean Dill

Postby Mr Grumpy » Sep 3rd, '12, 19:55

Discombobulator wrote:OK, here is a way to prevent the problem of the whatnots separating when the ball is moved to the middle, and a possibility for a follow-on.
I use these steel nuts instead of coloured balls These are great because the narrow neck of the nuts grips the chord while the wide barrel conveniently covers the whatnot without dismantling the gimmick in the way that the wooden balls sometime do.

Each nut has 6 faces and I have the numbers 1 to 6 written on each face.
After the effect has finished, they drop the steel nuts onto the table and I NW a prediction for the numbers that are visible.

Still looking for a patter idea though

The innuendo does not go away :-(
Instead of holding my balls the spec is now holding my nuts.

nut.jpg


Where did you get these nuts from? Are they a specific type/size? I don't really understand manly things.

I know a thing or two about buttons....

User avatar
Mr Grumpy
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 1021
Joined: Nov 22nd, '09, 13:25
Location: Manchester 39:WP

Re: Nana’s Necklace by Dean Dill

Postby Mandrake » Sep 3rd, '12, 20:39

That particular nut is self locking type by the looks of it but a 'normal' type will probably be equally OK. Once Disombob mentions the size - M8 or M10 perhaps - then any hardware store,ironmongers, B&Q, Wickes etc should be able to sell them to you.

User avatar
Mandrake
'
 
Posts: 27293
Joined: Apr 20th, '03, 21:00
Location: UK (72:AH)

Re: Nana’s Necklace by Dean Dill

Postby Mr Grumpy » Sep 3rd, '12, 20:43

Mandrake wrote:That particular nut is self locking type by the looks of it but a 'normal' type will probably be equally OK. Once Disombob mentions the size - M8 or M10 perhaps - then any hardware store,ironmongers, B&Q, Wickes etc should be able to sell them to you.



*head spins*

*counts buttons, then eats a pink cupcake*

User avatar
Mr Grumpy
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 1021
Joined: Nov 22nd, '09, 13:25
Location: Manchester 39:WP

Re: Nana’s Necklace by Dean Dill

Postby Mandrake » Sep 3rd, '12, 20:48

Just ask at the B&Q or Wickes counter/enquiry desk and they'll point you in the right direction. One thing is for sure, if you need 6 of these nuts, they'll be sold in packets of 5 or 4 so you'll end up buying 'spares'! The old time hardware and ironmongers might sell them individually.

User avatar
Mandrake
'
 
Posts: 27293
Joined: Apr 20th, '03, 21:00
Location: UK (72:AH)

Re: Nana’s Necklace by Dean Dill

Postby Discombobulator » Sep 3rd, '12, 20:55

Try it with the balls supplied with the effect first.

Some people find it a little awkward when moving the first ball to the centre. If you have difficulty, after some practice, then perhaps try some of the nuts.
I really dont know what size nut I used. I got a selection in a shop and tried them until I got a size that I liked.

¿ sɹoɹɹıɯ ʎq ǝuop ןןɐ sʇı
"who? no I dont know him", Derren Brown
"no idea who he is !", Kenton Knepper
"Is he a magician ?", Penn&Teller
Discombobulator
Senior Member
 
Posts: 677
Joined: Nov 15th, '05, 00:30
Location: Newcastle (58:AH)

Re: Nana’s Necklace by Dean Dill

Postby Mandrake » Sep 3rd, '12, 20:56

Incidentally, a version of this is in chapter 29 of The Discoverie of Witchcraft written by by Reggie Scot in 1584 and the heading of the paragraph is NOTABLE FEATE OF FAST OR LOOSE; NAMELIE, TO PULL THREE BEADSTONES FROM OFF A CORD, WHILE YOU HOLD FAST THE ENDS THEREOF, WITHOUT REMOVING OF YOUR HAND.

Nothing new under the sun :wink: !

Linky to partial online version: http://www.donaldcorrell.com/rscot/dwitch.html

User avatar
Mandrake
'
 
Posts: 27293
Joined: Apr 20th, '03, 21:00
Location: UK (72:AH)

Re: Nana’s Necklace by Dean Dill

Postby Mr Grumpy » Sep 6th, '12, 13:13

If you bought this, could you remake it with leather straps? (Don't answer if this would tip the method of course, or hint at it in a too obvious way.)

I'm not a fan of velvet. It's just not kinky enough.

User avatar
Mr Grumpy
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 1021
Joined: Nov 22nd, '09, 13:25
Location: Manchester 39:WP

Re:

Postby moonbeam » Sep 12th, '12, 08:32

Johnny Bravo wrote:One niggle.
On mine it is possible to see the gimmick on each cords given any kind of close examination, not too much, just a small bit of out of shape cord.
Easy get around with quick movement but it's a shame the gimmick isn't buried slightly deeper. Maybe a thicker cord should have been used? Or maybe this is just a defect with my version?


bananafish wrote:Hi Johnny.

Did you get the red cords? - as maybe your visual problem is more obvious for the red than it is for the black. I haven't had that problem, but then I don't hand the cords out for examinination either.


.... so is it best to get black or red ??

I'm seriously thinking of getting this and am just wondering if one colour hides the gimmick better than the other :roll: .

*Finger hovers perilously close over the "add to basket" button * :shock:

QUESTION:
If we can sue McDonalds for making us fat and cigarette companies for giving us cancer; why can't we sue Smirnoff for all the ugly gits we've sh*gged ??
User avatar
moonbeam
Elite Member
 
Posts: 2467
Joined: Oct 22nd, '05, 10:59
Location: Burnley (53:AH)

Re: Nana’s Necklace by Dean Dill

Postby Mr Grumpy » Sep 14th, '12, 14:15

I've been trying to get it but it seems to be out of stock everywhere in black. I think it would be perfect for this gig I have at an old people's home.

User avatar
Mr Grumpy
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 1021
Joined: Nov 22nd, '09, 13:25
Location: Manchester 39:WP

Re: Re:

Postby moonbeam » Sep 20th, '12, 10:57

moonbeam wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:One niggle.
On mine it is possible to see the gimmick on each cords given any kind of close examination, not too much, just a small bit of out of shape cord.
Easy get around with quick movement but it's a shame the gimmick isn't buried slightly deeper. Maybe a thicker cord should have been used? Or maybe this is just a defect with my version?


bananafish wrote:Hi Johnny.

Did you get the red cords? - as maybe your visual problem is more obvious for the red than it is for the black. I haven't had that problem, but then I don't hand the cords out for examinination either.


.... so is it best to get black or red ??

I'm seriously thinking of getting this and am just wondering if one colour hides the gimmick better than the other :roll: .

*Finger hovers perilously close over the "add to basket" button * :shock:


I can understand no-one owning both colours, but if anyone has this (either colour), could you foresee any problems with one colour being better/worse than the other.
I'm itching to get this, but I'd rather get the best option, assuming that one may or may not be better than the other ......

QUESTION:
If we can sue McDonalds for making us fat and cigarette companies for giving us cancer; why can't we sue Smirnoff for all the ugly gits we've sh*gged ??
User avatar
moonbeam
Elite Member
 
Posts: 2467
Joined: Oct 22nd, '05, 10:59
Location: Burnley (53:AH)

Previous

Return to Reviews - Tricks 'n Props

UK's Online Magic Tricks and Jokes Shop offers kids and beginner magic tricks and jokes. Aeternum Servare Secreta Visit Magicbox for all the latest and best effects! MagicWorld Magic Shop for Magic Tricks Sorcery Shop - Home of the ITR A web site set up to sell my book, THE STRIPPER DECK, and future magical/mentalism titles. Playing Cards for Magicians

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest