Mirage deck

Review area devoted to tricks and effects where props are involved.

Moderators: Mandrake, bananafish, Lady of Mystery, support, nickj

Dude That's Cool Magic Aeternum Servare Secreta Best prices around! Playing Cards for Magicians A web site set up to sell my book, THE STRIPPER DECK, and future magical/mentalism titles. World-Of-Magic, Suppliers of quality Magic Worldwide

Postby Sym » Aug 10th, '05, 17:29



katrielalex wrote:I wouldn't recommend the Svengali (or hence the Mirage). The reason is that these are sort of one-trick ponies


I'd put that on a par with saying the ID is a one trick pony. It really depends who's hands it's in! =o)

katrielalex wrote:ID has saved my neck several times when I mess up a control...


Haha, absolutely! It's pretty much all I use it for, now. Unless I want a REAL quick, REAL killer effect! I use the BW version, though. A bit more kick, I feel. =o)

~Sym~

Sym
Senior Member
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Jun 24th, '05, 17:39
Location: UK

Postby Happy Toad » Aug 10th, '05, 18:38

I took it out of the box.. tried it out in a quiet room.. and promptly put it back in the box and have never touched it since.


Even a gaffed deck requires a certain amount of practise and patience. I'd suggest giving it more time and effort.

"Hodge scored for Forest after 22 seconds - totally against the run of
play" (Peter Lorenzo)
Happy Toad
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 1457
Joined: Oct 3rd, '03, 17:19
Location: Wolverhampton UK ..... ( 41 CP ) .....

Postby katrielalex » Aug 10th, '05, 20:15

Symtal wrote:I'd put that on a par with saying the ID is a one trick pony. It really depends who's hands it's in! =o)


True, true...good point :twisted:

Symtal wrote:Haha, absolutely! It's pretty much all I use it for, now. Unless I want a REAL quick, REAL killer effect! I use the BW version, though. A bit more kick, I feel. =o)


True...the BW is a more impressing effect. However, one criticism that has been raised before and that I agree with (although I don't own the deck) is that it raises suspicion of a gaff deck because the card is obviously from a different deck or something. With the ID, to the spectators it doesn't so much raise the possibility of a 'funny' deck because the reveal isn't so impossible.

I'm not really getting my point across very well but what I'm trying to say is that the BW deck seems too impossible, whereas the ID, although impressive, seems more within the realms of possibility...

Kati

In hibernation but half awake - will stick my nose in every so often!
User avatar
katrielalex
Elite Member
 
Posts: 2545
Joined: Feb 5th, '05, 22:32
Location: 16:AH (in hibernation! will try to check up here every so often though)

Postby Sym » Aug 10th, '05, 20:35

katrielalex wrote:it raises suspicion of a gaff deck because the card is obviously from a different deck or something. With the ID, to the spectators it doesn't so much raise the possibility of a 'funny' deck because the reveal isn't so impossible.


This is also true. I ALWAYS state afterwards, even though it might seem obvious, that I used a card from a different deck. I have NEVER been pulled on this trick. I think it's one of those things that would never cross a spec's mind, it being simple.

I will agree with your point to a degree, though. I have been thinking about getting an ID, purely because it would enable repeat performances. I find it hard to believe anyone could get away with using the BW more than once in a "sitting".

~Sym~

Sym
Senior Member
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Jun 24th, '05, 17:39
Location: UK

Postby wingman04 » Aug 10th, '05, 22:59

stephenmagic wrote:I think the problem with many learners is that they try to learn to much too fast. You need to start with basic card skills. Know what the different grips are, know some basic shuffles, how to fan cards etc. Then you progress and begin to learn more advanced stuff. Before you know it you will be performing great effects with normal cards that entertain people.

Take your time learning, you should enjoy yourself and not rush to see how fast you can learn. Learn one thing at a time and practise that one thing until you do it smoothly and with confidence, see if you can talk and perform at the same time. Make sure your actions are natural as possible. .


Thanks for the great advice stephen, dont worry just cause I am going to buy books or something and a dvd doesnt mean I will not give 110% to practicing them. I will follow your advice, truly helpful.

wingman04
Preferred Member
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Jul 31st, '05, 01:19
Location: New York City [EN:15]

Postby Johnny Bravo » Aug 16th, '06, 04:44

Little question if I may good people.

Have had a Mirage deck kicking around for some time & have never really used it as the roughing fluid that was with it was duff. Anyway just got around to re-roughing it & now I'm wondering why this deck has the corners rounded on one end of the gaffed cards.

Mine didn't come with any type of instructions, not that you really need any but would like to know why they are like this, as I feel its a bit of a shame & glaringly obvious if you let the spec actually remove the card from the deck???

User avatar
Johnny Bravo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 439
Joined: Oct 12th, '04, 14:57
Location: Sussex, UK (44: AH:)

Postby Farlsborough » Aug 20th, '06, 20:59

I think the obvious explanation is the most likely - poorly gaffed! I find it best not to let the specs take cards from a svengali style or R/S deck anyway - the former means you then have to control the other card if you want to reset the deck, and if people are used to handling cards they may notice something about the latter.

Regarding ID and BW - I probably prefer the ID for the reason suggested, and also because seeing all the other card faces is a good convincer. Seeing all backs - even though that is what looking at the back of a normal pack would look like...! - seems a bit funny to me too, and I just worry about using a pack in which no one is going to be able to see the faces.

Also, with the ID it's easier to remember which way up the pack should be etc, and you don't have to count - if you lose count and aren't subtle about starting again with the BW, things surely look fishy...

Farlsborough
 

Postby Misanthropy » Aug 20th, '06, 21:58

I love the mirage and stripper decks as you can do loads of tricks with them. Get the 101 with a mirage deck, stripper deck booklet with it so you will know how to get the full potential out of it. It hasn't stopped me learning tricks with a normal deck either.

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken"
"Self improvement is masturbation of self destruction"
Misanthropy
Senior Member
 
Posts: 920
Joined: Apr 28th, '06, 00:39
Location: Surrey, UK (27:AH)

Postby MagicMagic7 » Jun 17th, '07, 16:46

First off i wanted to say that i do not have a mirage deck i have a sevgali deck it is great but i have herd so much about the mirage deck i really want one!! :D when i heard that it could spread like a mental photorgaphy deck (look that up it's a great deck) i was like holy you know exactly what i know a great place to get it cheap www.fantasmamagic.com their cards are awsome but one it's refered to as a phantom deck i want you to know that :lol: and remember have fun with your magic!!! :)

MagicMagic7
 

Postby MagicMagic7 » Jun 24th, '07, 01:15

I HOPE I GET THE MIRAGE DECK SOON

MagicMagic7
 

Postby Rob » Jul 24th, '07, 12:41

Having had my eyes well-and-truly opened to the possibilities of the humble Stripper Deck (courtesy of Jon Thompson), I felt it was perhaps time that I took another look at the good old Svengali again.

After a bit of reading, I began to pick up on the MD....and found that 'Kernow Magic' actually have Bike-backed MDs that are CHEAPER than their SD equivalents :shock:

I was suddenly starting at a PayPal screen again - weird how quickly that always seems to happen - it was kinda' like someone had performed a shapeshifter with my monitor!

Review to follow in a day or so :D

User avatar
Rob
Elite Member
 
Posts: 2535
Joined: Feb 14th, '06, 13:30
Location: Hull, United Kingdom (42 - SH)

Postby feifei » Jul 24th, '07, 18:25

Thanks guys. Lots of great advice here.

As for me, i really want to master sleight of hand, but as many beginners do, I started with loads of gaffs.... as for gaff deck.. i always bring along the Vanishing Deck gimmick... and after a trick and when people ask to see the deck.. i say oh waitda minute.. and pretend to be searching for something... then i say let me show u something better... then i vanish the deck.... and hv it appear somewhere else , then hand them the deck and they can hv a look... and change the topic to something else....

or if you are good with sleight.. then move on to using a normal deck.. say at least know 2 or 3 tricks with a normal deck... or off course you can switch in a stripper deck instead of normal ones...

what do you guys think?

User avatar
feifei
Preferred Member
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Jul 8th, '07, 13:49
Location: End of Land (28:AH)

Postby smidge146 » Jul 25th, '07, 00:00

wingman04 wrote:does anyone know a website that sells this trick for no more than5GBP or 7 dollars??
yer dude go www.davenportsmagic.co.uk it is really good and it where i got my mirage deck.

smidge146
Junior Member
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Jul 24th, '07, 23:59

Postby Rob » Jul 27th, '07, 08:46

Right - my Mirage Deck has arrived, and I've had a play :D

I was originally going to get a standard Svengali, but Kernow Magic (who had the best prices I could see on Sven decks) actually had Bike-backed Mirages for a pound CHEAPER than their Bike S.D's :shock:

http://www.kernowmagic.co.uk/item--Mira ... 00386.html

This puppy is NICE :twisted: The corners on the S Cards are spot-on, and the R&S is very well-done, allowing the entire deck to be fanned and even - if you're a little careful - overhand or Hindu shuffled, face-up!

Of course, there's the usual plethora of effects and utility-moves that can be accomplished and, being Bikes, the whole pack can be switched with ease for your next effect, leaving you with a totally examinable deck.

All-in-all this is a very nicely-made Sven, with the added bonuses of being spreadable (a little like Country Life butter, but more impressive!) and cheaper :D

10/10 - Perfect!

User avatar
Rob
Elite Member
 
Posts: 2535
Joined: Feb 14th, '06, 13:30
Location: Hull, United Kingdom (42 - SH)

Postby bmat » Aug 15th, '07, 19:56

First, Johnny Bravo, the corners are probably rounded because the deck was previously used in a casino then some magic dealer or magic manufacturer purchased them cheap, gimmicked them and sold them. I'm not sure there is anything wrong with that, but leaves me a little unsettled. And this may be the case, may not. I just know that some casino's use a deck once or twice, round off one corner and then sell them as used decks cheap. Others will punch a hole in each card.

I don't use gimmick decks as a general rule and that is because I am too lazy to carry much around. However I think the Mirage/sven/invis/mental photo etc. are wonderful. The effects are killer and as always the spectator response is dependant of performance. I agree with Seige these decks are wonderful and are especially great for learning, there is a certain amount of skill, yet lets one concentrate on performance rather then method which is so important. Gives 'instant' gratification which only encourages growth in magic. Plus it gives one a chance to become comfortable with handling cards while amazing people. I understand all the arguments presented and I think for the most part all are valid. Beginners do tend to 'learn' to much to quick and obviously need to start with the basics. These decks make it fun to learn the basics even if it is just basic card handling. Too often young magicians are steered away from these decks by more (and I use the term with great trepidation) "experienced" magicians who often forget that this was part of their own learning curve whether they realize it or not.

bmat
Elite Member
 
Posts: 2921
Joined: Jul 27th, '07, 18:44
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

PreviousNext

Return to Reviews - Tricks 'n Props

Web Design for Magicians UK's Online Magic Tricks and Jokes Shop offers kids and beginner magic tricks and jokes. Visit Magicbox for all the latest and best effects! Sorcery Shop - Home of the ITR Manufacturer of modern & unique magic apparatus! Best prices around! MagicWorld Magic Shop for Magic Tricks

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron