Hello and need some advice please :)

Come and let everyone know a little about yourselves

Moderators: Mandrake, bananafish, Lady of Mystery, support, nickj

World-Of-Magic, Suppliers of quality Magic Worldwide Playing Cards for Magicians MagicWorld Magic Shop for Magic Tricks Aeternum Servare Secreta Sorcery Shop - Home of the ITR Best prices around!

Hello and need some advice please :)

Postby ASH85 » Oct 15th, '14, 13:05



Hi all, my names is Ashley and I am from the UK :) I have recently got back into magic in the last 10 months after taking a break from it for 13 years. I started magic from the age of 7 until I was 15 and I am now 28. I was gutted that I stopped but it's never to late to start learning again having fun and putting a smile on someone face, let alone mine :)

I am a big fan of all magic, but for me I like to perform close up.
I have said to myself that I will start from the beginning and go back to basics, so I can rebuild myself! So I have the role road to card magic book and DVD and I am going through it at the mo, and I am enjoying it!

However; if any one could help me I have some some question. So just to keep things interesting, I have got Michael Skinner's Ultimate 3 Card Monte (LOVE IT) so I dont get bored of keep doing the role road. I also have some bits from my early years of magic like ID, rising deck and checkered chip.
So wanted to ask which parts of the forum I should defo check out? And good magic web sites that I should buy from?
I have not brought any thing since 3 card monty and I would like to buy one or two things to add to my collection, but sometimes I feel like it can be a little overwhelming when searching on these magic websites. SO MANY GOOD THINS OUT THERE!!!

I do like the look off the reboxed and ACE by Richard Sanders also tiny plunger. But I don't want to go to mad as my main focus is the role road still !!
Is the any that any would recommend or to have a look at?

Thanks in advance
Ashley :)
------------------------------------------
Thes si wot it feels lkie 2 b disslexia
But will never stop me chasing a dream

ASH85
Junior Member
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Oct 15th, '14, 12:44

Re: Hello and need some advice please :)

Postby Mandrake » Oct 15th, '14, 20:26

Hi, welcome to TM!

User avatar
Mandrake
'
 
Posts: 27180
Joined: Apr 20th, '03, 21:00
Location: UK (71:AH)

Re: Hello and need some advice please :)

Postby moonbeam » Oct 15th, '14, 20:56

Hi and welcome to TM :)

You say that you've got the DVD, Royal Road to Card Magic. I hope it's the 5 DVD set, by Paul Wilson and not the inferior 4 DVD set - they are completely different .... plus the 5 DVD set costs a lot more, but it's worth every extra penny :)

QUESTION:
If we can sue McDonalds for making us fat and cigarette companies for giving us cancer; why can't we sue Smirnoff for all the ugly gits we've sh*gged ??
User avatar
moonbeam
Elite Member
 
Posts: 2451
Joined: Oct 22nd, '05, 10:59
Location: Burnley (53:AH)

Re: Hello and need some advice please :)

Postby ASH85 » Oct 16th, '14, 13:32

Thanks guys :)

@ Moonbeam - yep defo have the 5 discs and so helps with the book to, I feel you get a undsatnding of how to read a magic book to .

ASH85
Junior Member
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Oct 15th, '14, 12:44

Re: Hello and need some advice please :)

Postby Happy Madison » Oct 17th, '14, 11:59

Welcome to the forum. I'm a newbie to this forum also but I can assure you that I have been taken in with open arms and made to feel part of the group by everyone I've posted to. A great forum with extremely knowledgable people aboard.

Glad to hear that the magic 'bug' has bitten again and you are persuing it. Royal Road is an excellent start. A few other things you may want to consider purchasing in the future:-

Daryl's Encylopedia Of Card Sleights
Harry Lorayne's Best Of DVD Series
Michael Ammars Easy To Master Cards Volumes 1 to 6 (Just my opinion but I think the first 6 are the best although there are more)

More Advanced:-
Darwin Ortiz - Scams & Fantasies with Cards
Jack Carpenter - All In (Absolutley Fantastic)
Bill Malone - On The Loose
Bill Malone - Here I Go Again
Bill Malone - Malone Meets Marlo (All the Bill Malone material is sssssoooooooo worth the money it's unbelieveable. Not only is he a great magician but also his presentation and delivery are second to none - He also teaches you probably one of the best pieces of card magic ever.....Sam The Bellhop)

Derren Brown - The Devils Picturebook (If you can find it....buy it!!!! A real genius and master at work and you can do nothing but admire his pure skill, patter and presentation but it's very rare now.)

There are many, many more out there, obviously but I feel these are some of the best. As far as buying magic from websites goes you can buy from talkmagic. I buy from MagicBox and Alakazam mainly and i've never had a problem.

Hope that helps a little.

User avatar
Happy Madison
Full Member
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Sep 10th, '14, 16:04

Re: Hello and need some advice please :)

Postby moonbeam » Oct 17th, '14, 15:05

ASH85 wrote:Thanks guys :)

@ Moonbeam - yep defo have the 5 discs and so helps with the book to, I feel you get a undsatnding of how to read a magic book to .


I have the 4 disc set (bought by mistake), the 5 disc set ... and the book :)

QUESTION:
If we can sue McDonalds for making us fat and cigarette companies for giving us cancer; why can't we sue Smirnoff for all the ugly gits we've sh*gged ??
User avatar
moonbeam
Elite Member
 
Posts: 2451
Joined: Oct 22nd, '05, 10:59
Location: Burnley (53:AH)

Re: Hello and need some advice please :)

Postby ASH85 » Oct 17th, '14, 16:31

Happy Madison wrote:Welcome to the forum. I'm a newbie to this forum also but I can assure you that I have been taken in with open arms and made to feel part of the group by everyone I've posted to. A great forum with extremely knowledgable people aboard.

Glad to hear that the magic 'bug' has bitten again and you are persuing it. Royal Road is an excellent start. A few other things you may want to consider purchasing in the future:-

Daryl's Encylopedia Of Card Sleights
Harry Lorayne's Best Of DVD Series
Michael Ammars Easy To Master Cards Volumes 1 to 6 (Just my opinion but I think the first 6 are the best although there are more)

More Advanced:-
Darwin Ortiz - Scams & Fantasies with Cards
Jack Carpenter - All In (Absolutley Fantastic)
Bill Malone - On The Loose
Bill Malone - Here I Go Again
Bill Malone - Malone Meets Marlo (All the Bill Malone material is sssssoooooooo worth the money it's unbelieveable. Not only is he a great magician but also his presentation and delivery are second to none - He also teaches you probably one of the best pieces of card magic ever.....Sam The Bellhop)

Derren Brown - The Devils Picturebook (If you can find it....buy it!!!! A real genius and master at work and you can do nothing but admire his pure skill, patter and presentation but it's very rare now.)

There are many, many more out there, obviously but I feel these are some of the best. As far as buying magic from websites goes you can buy from talkmagic. I buy from MagicBox and Alakazam mainly and i've never had a problem.

Hope that helps a little.


:shock: :D WOW thanks Happy Madison!!! I will be defo checking these out!! not only is MR Bill Malone one of my favourite magician!!!
but it is one off my magic dreams to learn Sam The Bellhop and add it to my palette. I had this trick on a VHS when I was about 8 years old and Bill performed on Paul Daniels - Secrets TV show. do you or anyone remember this. I would love to get hold of these show again.

thank again :)
------------------------------------------
Thes si wot it feels lkie 2 b disslexia
But will never stop me chasing a dream

ASH85
Junior Member
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Oct 15th, '14, 12:44

Re: Hello and need some advice please :)

Postby magicofthemind » Oct 18th, '14, 09:39

Hi Ashley

Maybe it's an age thing, but I'm not a big fan of DVDs. I learnt almost everything I know about magic from books, mostly the classics.

Royal Road is good but I've always regarded it as heavy going. I'd suggest a copy of the Mark Wilson Course to start with - this covers a wide range of types of magic and will give you a good idea on where to specialise. Also, unlike the other books I'd recommend, it's not expensive and it's still in print!

Barry

User avatar
magicofthemind
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 1149
Joined: Nov 28th, '06, 19:27
Location: London, England (65:SH/CW)

Re: Hello and need some advice please :)

Postby ASH85 » Oct 18th, '14, 12:10

magicofthemind wrote:Hi Ashley

Maybe it's an age thing, but I'm not a big fan of DVDs. I learnt almost everything I know about magic from books, mostly the classics.

Royal Road is good but I've always regarded it as heavy going. I'd suggest a copy of the Mark Wilson Course to start with - this covers a wide range of types of magic and will give you a good idea on where to specialise. Also, unlike the other books I'd recommend, it's not expensive and it's still in print!

Barry


thanks Barry. I will look at this book. as I am looking to look at all kinds of magic.

ASH85
Junior Member
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Oct 15th, '14, 12:44


Return to Introductions

Visit Magicbox for all the latest and best effects! Manufacturer of modern & unique magic apparatus! Dude That's Cool Magic A web site set up to sell my book, THE STRIPPER DECK, and future magical/mentalism titles. Best prices around! UK's Online Magic Tricks and Jokes Shop offers kids and beginner magic tricks and jokes. Web Design for Magicians

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests