Please sign this petition to ban exposure 1000+ sigs already

Can't find a suitable category? Post it here!!

Moderators: Lady of Mystery, nickj, Mandrake, bananafish, support, Rob

Playing Cards for Magicians ink cartridges UK's Online Magic Tricks and Jokes Shop offers kids and beginner magic tricks and jokes. MagicWorld Magic Shop for Magic Tricks Manufacturer of modern & unique magic apparatus! Aeternum Servare Secreta

Postby MatthewJackson » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:01 pm



Hatter wrote:I'm with Tony, though for a slightly different reason. Trying to get Youtube to put the clamp down on exposure videos is unfair. I hate exposure videos, I was very disappointed when I did a really nice trick last night and after I told people I wasn't going to show them how I did it, someone announced that that was fine, they'd just google it.

That said, it's a violation of people's rights to ban something like that. Even if you mean well doing it, it's simply not okay as a policy.
Imagine if other groups tried to do the same thing: video game proponents trying to get interviews between Oprah and Jack Thompson off the air, Mothers against violent videogames trying to get game trailers taken down. And you, of course say, "It's different."

No, it isn't. You're trying to shut down videos because they hurt our art, they'd be trying to shut down videos because they hurt their cause. What makes us special and where do you draw the line.

TL;DR violation of rights.


The thing is though, YouTube cannot remove the videos. It is the users own Audio and Video, therefore they can do whatever they like. I disagree with it also. I saw a tutorial on WPT by Boris Wild on YouTube (A very bad tutorial may I add) and I managed to persuade the user to remove the video.

Im ok with people revealing tricks like the Rising Card trick (DL Method) or the 21-Card trick and tricks you can get from a basic card magic book from the library because for many, it is a great place to start but for people to reveal marketed tricks is completely ridiculous. They dont even serve the trick justice or credit the creator. They make a RUBBISH tutorial video and it fistrates me to say that no-one can stop it.

MatthewJackson
Junior Member
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:21 pm
Location: Near Birmingham, UK.

Re: Please sign this petition to ban exposure 1000+ sigs alr

Postby LloydRamsey » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:53 pm

If someone knows something and they want to share it, it is up to them. its not exposure, its the freedom of sharing what you want to share and saying what you want to say. I have an exposure website. I do not even directly reveal magic and do you know how many visits I have a day? 0!! I have top notch magic revealed and no one comes to my site. Exposure is not bad. It is my right to say what I want to say even if that means I say, " you take the coin and slide it down your sleeve like this" and show a picture. Your not going to shut down my website, so just stop with the petition. Exposure is meant for those les fortunate. But I have to admit it takes money away from people like Daniel Garcia, and Patrick Kun. So I am implementing on my site to make donations to my site, I will then give wahtever I can to the site that sells the tricks. So in a way they are contributing. I am a advocate for exposure. Just not dumb enough to do it on youtube where someone controls me and what I put on th eweb. Its my site adn I control what I do with it, not you, or any petition. So Ban it on youtube, adn watch all of it start to pour in at my site for everyone to see. But the worst of thw worst is (deleted by Mods) this site really crosses the line.[/quote]

LloydRamsey
New User
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:43 pm

Re: Please sign this petition to ban exposure 1000+ sigs alr

Postby LloydRamsey » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:56 pm

I think it is just as bad fo rsomeone on youtube to expose the trick as it is for someone who sucks at a trick to try and peform it and making it look like c*** (not the best).

LloydRamsey
New User
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:43 pm

Re: Please sign this petition to ban exposure 1000+ sigs alr

Postby Dye Vernon » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:45 pm

LloydRamsey wrote:If someone knows something and they want to share it, it is up to them. its not exposure, its the freedom of sharing what you want to share and saying what you want to say. I have an exposure website. I do not even directly reveal magic and do you know how many visits I have a day? 0!! I have top notch magic revealed and no one comes to my site. Exposure is not bad. It is my right to say what I want to say even if that means I say, " you take the coin and slide it down your sleeve like this" and show a picture. Your not going to shut down my website, so just stop with the petition. Exposure is meant for those les fortunate. But I have to admit it takes money away from people like Daniel Garcia, and Patrick Kun. So I am implementing on my site to make donations to my site, I will then give wahtever I can to the site that sells the tricks. So in a way they are contributing. I am a advocate for exposure. Just not dumb enough to do it on youtube where someone controls me and what I put on th eweb. Its my site adn I control what I do with it, not you, or any petition. So Ban it on youtube, adn watch all of it start to pour in at my site for everyone to see. But the worst of thw worst is (deleted by Mods) this site really crosses the line.


IMHO you should be banned for that post.

Dye Vernon
Full Member
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: Please sign this petition to ban exposure 1000+ sigs alr

Postby LloydRamsey » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:31 am

I am what you would call a realist. I am being real. A Petitionis not going to do didly squat. We are all adults, we all need to grow up and realize that magic is a hobby and for those people that find that magic is their profession, their effects are not all over youtube. GROW UP, playing with little tricks is not a big deal. It is entertainment, it will always be amazing for some people. I find that doing the magic is not a hobby, just finding out how it is done is good enouh for me. It is not a trade it is a hobby. This is not your site so you cant ban me so shut up.

LloydRamsey
New User
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:43 pm

Re: Please sign this petition to ban exposure 1000+ sigs alr

Postby Heckler » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:56 am

LloydRamsey wrote:. I find that doing the magic is not a hobby, just finding out how it is done is good enouh for me.


And if magic as you say is 'just entertainment' then the very fact that you don't in fact entertain anyone and are just interested in learning the secrets, indicates that your pursuit is rather a pointless one doesn't it? I would suggest that performing magic requires real dedication, the investment of a significant amount of time and the maturity to realise that the real magic comes from the spectators reactions, not from the frankly puerile instant gratification from knowing how something is done.

The method is nothing, the performance is everything.

The reason why the methods are hidden are because often they are so simple, hence Steinmyer's quote 'The magician guards an empty safe'. The fact that you place any currency in just knowing the methods with no intention to perform them shows how little you understand the above statement. Do yourself a favour, put your knowledge to a positive use and learn how to perform, that's the real secret and not one you'll learn from a website.

User avatar
Heckler
Senior Member
 
Posts: 447
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:58 pm
Location: Brighton (38:AH)

Re: Please sign this petition to ban exposure 1000+ sigs alr

Postby Mandrake » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:34 pm

LloydRamsey wrote:This is not your site so you cant ban me so shut up.

No.... but I can. In view of your attitude and self justification of blatent theft of other people's intellectual property, you have no place here on TM.

User avatar
Mandrake
.
 
Posts: 26838
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 9:00 pm
Location: UK (69:AH)

Re: Please sign this petition to ban exposure 1000+ sigs alr

Postby Lawrence » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:59 pm

Mandrake wrote:
LloydRamsey wrote:This is not your site so you cant ban me so shut up.

No.... but I can. In view of your attitude and self justification of blatent theft of other people's intellectual property, you have no place here on TM.

Recent PMs suggest this is HILARIOUS!

Custom R&S decks made to specification - PM me for details
User avatar
Lawrence
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 5069
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:40 pm
Location: Wakefield 28:SH

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous

World-Of-Magic, Suppliers of quality Magic Worldwide Web Design for Magicians Sorcery Shop - Home of the ITR Dude That's Cool Magic Visit Magicbox for all the latest and best effects! Best prices around! A web site set up to sell my book, THE STRIPPER DECK, and future magical/mentalism titles. Best prices around!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests