Svengali Deck

Struggling with an effect? Any tips (without giving too much away!) you'd like to share?

Moderators: nickj, Lady of Mystery, Mandrake, bananafish, support

Best prices around! A web site set up to sell my book, THE STRIPPER DECK, and future magical/mentalism titles. Dude That's Cool Magic MagicWorld Magic Shop for Magic Tricks Sorcery Shop - Home of the ITR Aeternum Servare Secreta

Postby TheOldForum » Apr 22nd, '02, 13:50

I think a review on a board open to the public should not reveal the method.
Even with the typo above, and even though it is a well known method, I would prefer to see more on effects and less on method. IMHO.

Last edited by TheOldForum on Jan 1st, '70, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.
TheOldForum

Postby Magic Man » May 3rd, '03, 17:11

This sounds good for a begginer

Magic Man

Postby ClSmooth » May 31st, '03, 01:13

This is a very strong effect and ideal for the beginner. It's also being sold within Marvins Magic range, which are for beginners and require no experience. The are many variations to the svengali deck, and even some vids about.

ClSmooth
New User

Postby seige » Jun 2nd, '03, 15:59

The Svengali deck is a great introduction to card magic. Buy a Svengali and a Wizard deck and you've got the potential to completely baffle people with no real sleight of hand.

These two decks will fuel a fire of lust for card magic - as you become an almost instant magician.

Even experienced magicians use Svengali and Wizard (stripper) decks.

The Svengali deck is essentially what's known as a forcing deck - but can also be shown as a completed 'every card different' deck.

There are many possibilities for creative usage of a Svengali deck - and I'd wholeheartedly recommend that if you're new to card magic, go for this first. It will hopefully give you an insight into the workings of real card tricks, and also help give you your first buzz when your spectator's jaw drops!

seige

Postby the_mog » Jun 2nd, '03, 16:07

svengali decks are awesome... another good staring point is the book "101 tricks with a svengali deck" but to be honest a little creative thinking does wonders :mrgreen:

Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989.. :mrgreen:
the_mog

Postby magicdiscoman » Jun 2nd, '03, 22:03

:lol: svengali deck great :lol:
with this type of deck all you have to worry about is what big impressive way can i reveal the chosen card.

may i sugggest ice sculptures, big unfolderable banners, flash production frames, video, and me personal favourate the printed silk my assistant taped to your back as we did the trick :idea: :idea: :wink: .

magicdiscoman

Postby maximus » Jun 8th, '03, 19:05

I do a trick with a svengali deck where you use a duplicate force card and burn a small hole through the middle with a soldering iron or a ciggarete.
Hide this card in your deck then force a card and return it. have youre spectator shoot the deck with their fingers. then reveal your card with the hole.I didnt invent this trick so all the credit goes to the inventor I dont know who.

maximus

Postby bananafish » Jun 9th, '03, 11:12

I like the idea with the forced card being shot by the spectator. Thats a good one.

bananafish
Veteran Member

Postby seige » Jun 10th, '03, 12:18

There's so much scope with the Svengali/card revelation combo.

Basically, all the work is done before you even START the effect. You KNOW what card is going to be chosen...

And as mentioned, with a Mirage deck (basically a Svengali with R&S, in case you didn't know...) you can fan the cards out quite convincingly, rather than having to riffle - which truly shows what 'looks' like a full deck.

You'd also be surprised how easy it is to get away with a regular forcing deck. Don't get me wrong - I love the Svengali/Mirage - but if you're a fan of forced tricks, then perhaps you can give it a go! You'd be surprised!

seige

my favorate

Postby aymanjsingh » Jun 19th, '03, 12:42

its my favorate trick deck,

it can also be used to show that every single deck in the deck is the same, and instantly after a few seconds, you show that every single card in the deck is different

aymanjsingh
New User

Postby bananafish » Jun 19th, '03, 14:31

Personally I don't like showing all the cards as the same, as from this point on youve pretty much admitted to using a false deck. I prefer the spectators just to think that it is all done with slieghts.

I would also recommend getting a mirage over the standard svengalis - as I feel it adds to the tricks to be able to fan the cards out before and after.

Last edited by bananafish on Sep 9th, '03, 08:50, edited 1 time in total.
bananafish
Veteran Member

Postby valentino » Sep 9th, '03, 02:37

This is my alltime favourite deck !

My favourite move with the deck is to cut the deck in two and riffle suffle the two halves together.

This is a great move to do as any 'amature' magicians who may suspect that it is a trick deck will change their mind after this move.

Another move, with a bit of practice, is to do a face up ribbon spread showing all the faces different

Also if you hold the pack about two foot off your table and holding them vertically to the table release your grip on 'each one' of them. Then they will fall to the table making a full 360 degree turn and you will end up with a nice messy pile of different cards all over the table !!!

regards,
Valentino

valentino

Postby the_mog » Sep 9th, '03, 08:52

yeah its ok..... we'll forgive you just this once cos its a great routine :mrgreen:

Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989.. :mrgreen:
the_mog

Postby valentino » Sep 10th, '03, 00:54

I've just ordered the Real Floating Card DVD as I thought this would be a great ending to my svengali routine.

If it is suitable I'll post my findings here.

Loved the cap gun routine BTW.

regards,
Valentino

valentino

Next

Return to Support & Tips

Web Design for Magicians Best prices around! Manufacturer of modern & unique magic apparatus! World-Of-Magic, Suppliers of quality Magic Worldwide Playing Cards for Magicians Visit Magicbox for all the latest and best effects! UK's Online Magic Tricks and Jokes Shop offers kids and beginner magic tricks and jokes.