Magic for Beginners. The Ball and Tube Mystery

Bought a trick? Let us know what you think!
About to buy a trick? Be sure to read our Archived user reviews here and in the three new sections above before buying!

Moderators: nickj, Lady of Mystery, Mandrake, bananafish, support

Dude That's Cool Magic Best prices around! Web Design for Magicians Playing Cards for Magicians World-Of-Magic, Suppliers of quality Magic Worldwide Visit Magicbox for all the latest and best effects!

Magic for Beginners. The Ball and Tube Mystery

Postby bananafish » May 21st, '03, 10:00

Tricks for Beginners.

Ball and Tube Mystery
£12.95 from ://www.emagictricks.co.uk
http://www.emagictricks.co.uk/product_i ... ts_id=2648

The Effect.
The spectators are shown a solid brass tube and a metal ball that is too big to fit into the tube. After examining the tube and ball the spectator passes it back and you offer to show them a little trick.

You rest the ball on the top of the tube and give the ball a gentle blow. Amazingly the ball starts sinking into the tube. You then tell the spectator to watch closely, and the ball starts to rise again until it is seated once more on top of the tube.

The tube and ball can then be handed back out to the spectator for further examination.

Difficulty. 2/5
1=A cat could do it (An Aardvark would still have difficulty though), 2=No sleights, but not so easy, 3=Some sleights used,
4=Advanced sleights used, 5=Suitable for experienced magicians only)

Fairly easy. I have seen this reviewed online elsewhere with a difficulty level of 1 out of 5, however in my opinion as a novice I would say that it does in fact require a little manipulation at various points and so isn’t quite as easy as some of the other tricks I have reviewed before. I accept however that this could reflect more on me than on the trick itself.

Review.
This is another good looking brass item that is unarguably very well made. I found that it does help though to apply a little wax to make the workings a bit quieter/slicker.

Personally I found that it did require a little more practice than some of the other “open the box and go” magic you can buy, but in saying that there is nothing that a complete novice couldn’t master in a very short time.

There are a few issues with angles but then it isn’t unusual to expect the spectators to be in front of you.

Rating.
Effect/item: 7/10, Quality of goods: 9/10, Value for money: 7/10

Overrall.
It’s not too expensive, but also not as cheap as some and personally I would say that there is better for the money out there, however if you like brass magic then this isn’t a bad little trick.

It is small enough to carry around and requires no setting and resetting as this is all done during the trick.

I would give one word of warning though, when performing to children, be careful when handing it out for examination at the end. So far the adults I have shown it to haven’t been able to work it out, however children don’t always seem to respect the normal laws that apply to these things and I have had one very embarrassing moment when a 9 year old girl gave it a quick look, told me it was "stupid" and then promptly found the gimmick. :oops:

The Bottom Line.
Not bad, but in my opinion I think it lacks a little in the "Wow" department.

bananafish
Veteran Member

Postby seige » May 23rd, '03, 00:00

*DELETED* - Innapropriate posting

Last edited by seige on May 31st, '03, 09:21, edited 1 time in total.
seige

Postby Mandrake » May 23rd, '03, 09:40

A fiver a time? At that rate of pay, please adopt me as your other nephew!

Mandrake
'

Postby seige » May 23rd, '03, 09:52

Last edited by seige on May 31st, '03, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.
seige

Postby Red Myst » May 30th, '03, 23:22

I purchased this item last year and promptly sent it back because I could see the gimmick as soon as I took it out of the packet. I was really disappointed with it. I am now thinking that the one I was sent must have been faulty. Has any one else had the same problem?

Red Myst
New User

Postby seige » May 30th, '03, 23:25

Last edited by seige on May 31st, '03, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.
seige

Postby Red Myst » May 30th, '03, 23:36

My problem was that it was meant to be able to be handed out for examination as per instructions and when I handed it to my wife she had it apart in seconds.
I really think my one was faulty. Without giving too much away, there was a distinct gap at one end.

Red Myst
New User

Postby seige » May 30th, '03, 23:38

Last edited by seige on May 31st, '03, 09:21, edited 1 time in total.
seige

Postby ClSmooth » May 31st, '03, 01:18

If you are good with palming then this trick is not too bad, probably more ideal to perform on kids as was just mentioned. Not the best trick for someone with a sharp eye.

ClSmooth
New User

Postby Pedey » May 31st, '03, 03:11

Exposes two fascinating principles in magic for a fiver (three if you include the misdirection so sorely needed.)

Who, over twelve years in age would actually perform it in these proportions though?!

Pedey

Postby seige » May 31st, '03, 09:23

I've deleted my posts, because if indeed we were talking about different effects, I apologise.

I bought the effect many years ago, and it was badged as 'crystal ball and tube' or somesuch.

It was more akin to the EZ, as pointed out by Tom.

My sincere apologise for any confusion or misleading comments.
(will teach me not to write posts on return from a night's drinking...)

Seige

seige

Postby Red Myst » May 31st, '03, 15:20

Thanks for the last two messages. After my many years of magic I was feeling like I was losing my touch.

Red Myst
New User

Postby seige » May 31st, '03, 18:50

No probs... we're never too big, old or wise to stand corrected when we're wrong!!!

seige

Postby bananafish » Jun 9th, '03, 07:59

Talking now about the Ball and Tube Mystery form the original post - if it could be "truly" locked - it wouldn't be so risky when handing it out, and it is one of those thricks that do have to be handed out afterwards.

I have had about a 50% success rate when handing it out - which makes it just too risky I guess. It's a shame though as I would have thought that th eexisting locking mechanism could have been enhanced in someway to make it full proof.

bananafish
Veteran Member

Next

Return to Archived Reviews - now closed

A web site set up to sell my book, THE STRIPPER DECK, and future magical/mentalism titles. Manufacturer of modern & unique magic apparatus! UK's Online Magic Tricks and Jokes Shop offers kids and beginner magic tricks and jokes. Sorcery Shop - Home of the ITR MagicWorld Magic Shop for Magic Tricks Best prices around! Aeternum Servare Secreta