Crash 1 and 2 (Ambitious card)...

Bought a trick? Let us know what you think!
About to buy a trick? Be sure to read our Archived user reviews here and in the three new sections above before buying!

Moderators: nickj, Lady of Mystery, Mandrake, bananafish, support

Best prices around! A web site set up to sell my book, THE STRIPPER DECK, and future magical/mentalism titles. UK's Online Magic Tricks and Jokes Shop offers kids and beginner magic tricks and jokes. Playing Cards for Magicians World-Of-Magic, Suppliers of quality Magic Worldwide Sorcery Shop - Home of the ITR

Crash 1 and 2 (Ambitious card)...

Postby BeerForDolphins » May 28th, '03, 17:27

Welllllll, this isn't a review...but it will be when they arrive!

Just ordered both of them....so keep a look out (and if anyone HAS got them put your review in here!).

I decided to go with Mr. Christian because I like his style and youve got to admit...he is quite good!. He comes across really well on the video snippets that you can download from the site and I have already learnt a few new things..so he has earned my dosh!

BeerForDolphins
Preferred Member

Postby BeerForDolphins » Jun 11th, '03, 11:15

OK...the reviews

You have to bear in mind that I am (still) anovice when it comes to card magic so it was a big decision to lay out this kind of money...but heres my two penneth anyway!

Name: Crash Course 1 - An introduciton to card magic

Price: $40

Where: Ellusionist.com

Difficulty: Novice - I would say

Rating: 4/5 Everything is explained in enough detail that you KNOW what you need to do, even if you have to oractice alittle to get things down pat.

Comments

If, like me, you have bought RRTCM but wanted something to help you along visually, then CC1 is ideal. It is aimed at the beginner, starting off with grips and simple slights and controls but contains a number of tricks that could easily be incorporated into a beginners routine that wouldn't be out of place in anyones routine, such as "here and there"....

One of the strongest elements of the video is Brad Christians teaching style. He is very relaxed and very much into communicating his points across in a manner that is easily understandable.

Is it worth it....well it was for me. There may be other videos/DVD's that have much "content" but would not be presented as well as this one.

BeerForDolphins
Preferred Member

Postby BeerForDolphins » Jun 11th, '03, 11:38

Now for CC2...

Name: Crash Course 2 - The AmbitiouX card

Price: £40

Where: Ellusionist.com

Difficulty: Not for the total novice

Rating: 5/5

Comments

I bought this as a budle with CC1 and I have to say that this is a tremendous DVD, not only for its content but for its presentation and style. Obviously it concentrates on the Ambitious Card...duh! and basically gives you the tools to build one hell of an impressive AC routine. Here is a breakdown if what is included:

PUSH OFF DL: Over ten minutes is spent on the intracacies of this move. Very detailed but obviously the mainstay of any AC routine (unless you want to use another DL...)

STANDARD DL: ...with this in mind, the strike and standard double lifts are covered briefly.

CARD REVERSE TURNOVER: Introduces the reverse turnover to get you initial starting position.

The sleights/controls are then introduced including:

LEPAUL BLUFF PASS
MARLO TILT
SPECTATOR CARD INSERT
JAMES/ELLIS LOADING MOVE
BRAUE POP UP MOVE
JERRY SADOWITZ SIDE JOG
ONE HAND TOP PALM
CATCH CARD INVISIBLY
TENKAI PRODUCTION
TOP CHANGE (2 WAYS)
TILT COLOR CHANGE
AIR FLIP-OVER
VICTORIA
UTILITY DL GET READY
THE PASS
RUBAWAY KNEE VANISH
WOODFIELD'S TORN & RESTORED CARD

As well as the pure "learning" element of the DVD, each of the sleights/controls are shown in a real street performance, with voiceovers to give you an insight of Brads thoughts at the time.

There are also sections on routining, experimentation, breaking down moves and Brads general philosophy on the AC routine. You also get some bonus performances from Nate Staniforth and a bonus "biddle" performance from Brad, again in a real life street setting and previews on both Ninja Videos (which are worth watching in themselves!)

I cant recommend this DVD enough...it has taught me SO much in a few weeks that I would NEVER have got from RRTCM.

One thing that I will say, that Brad also says, is that there is so much more to learn about the AC and that this is only the tip of the iceberg but as a learning tool, and I have heard so much about Daryls DVD, I cannot imagine that anything comes close in terms of communication of ideas, presentation, content and sheer DVD quality than this.

BeerForDolphins
Preferred Member

Postby bananafish » Jun 11th, '03, 12:01

Nice review BeerForDolphins,

I am looking to get some DVD's to supplement my RRTCM too, In particular I was considering Richard Kaufman's - Basic Card Techniques.

I was wondering if there is anyone here who has both the CrashCourse-1 and Basic Card Techniques - and if so would they recommend one over the other? (or are they not really comparable?)

bananafish
Veteran Member

Postby BeerForDolphins » Jun 11th, '03, 16:11

I think, looking at the content of the Kaufman DVD, there is MORE on that than CC1.

CC1 really is for beginners only and doesn't teach that many slights and controls but what it does teach, it does it very well.

I suppose its horses for courses...if you just want content volume then maybe Kaufman would be best...but I don't know HOW it is taught.

BeerForDolphins
Preferred Member

Postby the_mog » Jun 11th, '03, 21:46

hmmm didnt i already review crash course 1?... anyways the video is good without being confusing but is really aimed at beginners but i already said that so im just gonna shut up... heh heh heh :mrgreen:

Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989.. :mrgreen:
the_mog

Postby BeerForDolphins » Jun 12th, '03, 09:32

whoops...sorry "the mog".....I basically echoed your sentiments exactly didn't I...

....great minds think alike :-)

BeerForDolphins
Preferred Member

Postby the_mog » Jun 12th, '03, 19:46

hehe dont worry about it.. its just that when people duplicate reviews the boards get extremely cluttered and next thing you know theres 143 reviews of one effect and 25 of another etc. :mrgreen:

Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989.. :mrgreen:
the_mog

Return to Archived Reviews - now closed

Web Design for Magicians Manufacturer of modern & unique magic apparatus! Best prices around! MagicWorld Magic Shop for Magic Tricks Visit Magicbox for all the latest and best effects! Aeternum Servare Secreta Dude That's Cool Magic