Tricks for Beginners. Impression by Yousif Salhab

Bought a trick? Let us know what you think!
About to buy a trick? Be sure to read our Archived user reviews here and in the three new sections above before buying!

Moderators: nickj, Lady of Mystery, Mandrake, bananafish, support

Dude That's Cool Magic Aeternum Servare Secreta World-Of-Magic, Suppliers of quality Magic Worldwide A web site set up to sell my book, THE STRIPPER DECK, and future magical/mentalism titles. Best prices around! Visit Magicbox for all the latest and best effects!

Tricks for Beginners. Impression by Yousif Salhab

Postby bananafish » Jun 27th, '03, 14:19

Tricks for Beginners.

Impression by Yousif Salhab
£6.99 from ://www.magictricks.co.uk
http://www.magictricks.co.uk/prodshow.asp?code=28

The Effect.
You shuffle a deck of cards and hand it to a spectator who is then asked to deal them out onto the table and to stop at any point they wish.

When the spectator stops you take the remaining cards and after confirming that they had full control over where they stopped, you ask them to sign the top card (without turning it over). You then shuffle their card back into the deck.

You then tell them that earlier in the day you had a premonition about the card they were going to select, but unfortunately you didn’t have any paper to write it on. You ask them to find the card they selected.

When they find the card, you ask them to turn it over and they will see that written on the face of the card is "I knew you would pick the [insert name of card]".

The deck is fully examinable – this is the only card that had anything written on it. The card can be kept as a souvenir.

Variations.
if you didn’t want to write on the card in question it would also work with a prediction in an envelope – they would just turn the top card over. Personally I feel this is not an as dramatic a finish, but you do manage to retain a full deck.

or, another suggestion by Yousif is to have them select the only real card in a deck of blank cards. That would be pretty strong.

(A deck of blank cards can be purchased at www.cards4magic.co.uk or I believe at alakazam)

Difficulty. 2/5
1=Even I can do it, 2=No sleights, but not so easy, 3=Some sleights used,
4=Advanced sleights used, 5=Suitable for experienced magicians only)

Very easy. There is one sleight, but they don’t come any easier than this.

Review.
My first impressions weren’t that great. :( All you receive is a two page photocopied instruction sheet that is stapled together. In saying that the instructions are quite clear and concise and do include photographic examples.

My second disappointment :( was that the main crux of this effect is a "Force", and it is one I knew about already – so my initial thoughts were that I had just paid for something I already knew.

Now with that all said and done I must admit that it has grown on me quite a bit since I first got it. Firstly this is a truley great force (and credit was given). If you didn’t know it to start with then it is well worth the £6.99 just for that alone, and even if you did know it already, then you also get a couple of really strong routines. :) :)

Rating. Effect/item: 8/10, Quality of goods: 6/10, Value for money: 8/10 (its only £6.99)

Bottom Line.
The bottom line is that I will definitely be performing these routines so really no matter how disappointed I was originally I really have no right to complain do I? So for this reason alone I would recommend it :)

Edited website url - thanks Mog

Last edited by bananafish on Jun 27th, '03, 14:29, edited 1 time in total.
bananafish
Veteran Member

Postby the_mog » Jun 27th, '03, 14:27

the site is www.cards4magic.co.uk by the way :mrgreen:

Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989.. :mrgreen:
the_mog

Postby Mandrake » Jun 27th, '03, 16:04

Reviews of this effect on other forums seem to echo your 'impression' (sorry!) and it looks as though this is one of those which just develops and grows. As you say, the price is reasonable.

I also understand that the man himself is able to answer questions & queries if required - (yousifs2000@hotmail.com) which can't be bad!

Mandrake
'

Postby seige » Jun 27th, '03, 16:11

You guys make like to help me out with something in light of this effect...

Check the MO board for a post called 'Volunteers...'

:lol:

seige

Postby Yousif Salhab » Dec 6th, '03, 00:01

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the review. I appreciate the comments. I know it might seem a little bold at first, but as I included in the manuscript, try it out, maybe the boldness will grow on you, as in fact it did on many people. As stated, you can email me any time if you have a question, comment, or suggestion. I would love to hear more.

Thanks again,

Yousif

Yousif Salhab

Postby BaBaBoom » Dec 6th, '03, 01:01

Welcom to the board :)

I for one look forward to your posts.

:)
BaB

BaBaBoom

Postby bananafish » Dec 6th, '03, 13:47

You know I hate to say this - especially with Yousif so recently honouring us with his presence, but If I were to review this again now I would probably mark it much lower - certainly in the value for money area.

The reason being that the main premise of impression is a force which, as I mentioned initially, I not only already knew - but in fact is actually fairly common. So all you get is one good card trick that by itself doesn't seem to be worth the £7.

Since the review I have learn't a few extra little subtlties from other sources that make this particular force (Al Baker) even stronger - but still this is just ONE of many tricks that can be used with this force and in my opinion is no stronger (or weaker) than many others.

I feel that if impression was to have been marketed it would have better served if done within maybe some lecture notes that included at least five or six different tricks. On it's own I feel the value for money is fairly low.

The best way to make my point is to compare it with another more recent trick, such as Liam Montiers "Henry Sugar", as it could be argued that HS also is just a single trick that revolves around a technique that some would already have known (I didn't know it as it happens).

But there is a big difference, I I think it must be the strength of the HS routine as a whole - (and HS is a routine and not just a trick), the strength of the much lesser known technique, and the fact that it really has some great ideas for patter. All in all I would say HS was well worth the money - but sadly "Impression" was not.

I do hope I haven't offended Yousif in anyway, and that he replies to this (and indeed that he stays in TalkMagic to make contributions elsewhere).

It certainly wasn't meant as an attack on him personally and I for one would still be very interested in anything else he was to bring out.

bananafish
Veteran Member

Postby Yousif Salhab » Dec 6th, '03, 16:18

Hey Bananafish,

No I wasn't offended in anyway. Everyone has a right to his/her opinion, and I am one to know that reviews to my effects arent personal attacks. I am actually glad you brought this up because I have been told this before. I can see how one can be dissapointed if they already knew the technique, and really recieved nothing new for the money. However, I have talked to alot of magicians, and they told me that they usually purchase alot of manuscripts, and dont even find one thing usable to place in their repetoire. Even those who knew the technique, told me they thought it was worth the money because it was useable for them, and at such a cheap cost, for a routine they thought was great, and how it opened doors for other ideas using this move.

Again, if still you feel it wasn't worth the money, thats OK. Nothing is for everyone.

Dont worry, I find this forum a great place to stay, because of the friendliness of the posters and administrators that I havent seen elsewhere (with a few exceptions). Thanks for the welcome, I am here to stay.

Have a great weekend,

Yousif

Yousif Salhab

Postby Mark Waddington » Dec 6th, '03, 19:03

Aww thankyou yousif, i too look forward to reading your other posts

Mark Waddington
Elite Member

Return to Archived Reviews - now closed

Manufacturer of modern & unique magic apparatus! MagicWorld Magic Shop for Magic Tricks Sorcery Shop - Home of the ITR UK's Online Magic Tricks and Jokes Shop offers kids and beginner magic tricks and jokes. Web Design for Magicians Best prices around! Playing Cards for Magicians