Paul Harris-The Art of Astonishment

Can't find the review you want? Try requesting a review...

Moderators: nickj, Lady of Mystery, Mandrake, bananafish, support

Visit Magicbox for all the latest and best effects! Best prices around! MagicWorld Magic Shop for Magic Tricks Manufacturer of modern & unique magic apparatus! UK's Online Magic Tricks and Jokes Shop offers kids and beginner magic tricks and jokes. Web Design for Magicians

Paul Harris-The Art of Astonishment

Postby jingo » Jul 4th, '03, 18:17

Does anyone own Paul Harris' Art of Astonishment books. I was considering buying them and was hoping I could find a review on the forum but there doesn't seem to be one :cry:
I think seige mentioned owning them on an old thread. Any help?

jingo

Postby seige » Jul 4th, '03, 18:46

This is a reviews request, therefore I moved it over...

Being honest, the magnitude and variety covered in these books would take ages to review... so I'll do a little bit of a mini-review...

I bought all three of the books at the same time - because I always make the mistake of getting part one of a series, only to order the others as soon as I've seen the first anyway... so this was a gamble!

I was not disappointed - all three books are big, hardbound efforts - really quite monumental in size!

I flipped open book one, and was amazed at the diversity of the content... from playing cards to orange peel (?), it's all there.

The effects themselves are of pro-quality, and the creativity throughout the three books is unbelieveable. There's so much, in fact, that I sometimes pick the books up for reference, and find something I'd missed or forgotten first time round.

The quality of both the rhetoric and the pictures is superb - and everything is done with Harris's witty charm. There's a lot of humour in there - and I was more than happy with my purchase.

These books are quite expensive, and some of the material is pretty taxing if you're a begician... but then again, I think these effects are intended as a guide for accomplished magi, and I certainly wouldn't recommend them to anyone who's not familiar with their basic sleights or magic jargon!

Reading is not everyone's cup of tea - and I admit that the amount of reading material I've got is possibly a little excessive - as most of the stuff is overlap - but these books take a rather special place in my collection!

One thing is clear - if you're a creative magician, these books are invaluable not only as a source of inspiration, but also a reference as to how it should be done in the real world.

10/10 for value, quality, everything. Can't fault them at all.

seige

Postby nickj » Jul 6th, '03, 21:26

Do these contain predominantly sleights or effects, or a healthy mix of the two, and sleightwise is there anything unique here?

Cogito, ergo sum.
Cogito sumere potum alterum.
nickj
Elite Member

Postby Pedey » Aug 6th, '03, 22:03

Almost entirely effects, those sleights that are mentioned are generally to achieve an effect. That said, in the three volumes, there is so much innovative stuff here, that you could strip the sleights from the multitude of effects and still be happy if sleights is your thing.

Pedey

Postby bananafish » Nov 8th, '03, 10:28

ok, ive heard so much about these books. Not just great reviews but they always seem to crop up in conversation - which in my mind is a good indication that they are pretty special,

so that - with the fact that number one is considered to be going out of print, I decided not to wait any longer.

Consequently the three arrived this morning - and though I havent had a good look yet, they seem to be every bit as wonderful as everyone else claims.

woohoo.

bananafish
Veteran Member

Postby SharkTrager » Nov 17th, '03, 12:37

As I said in my personal introduction, these books are simply incredible. Wonderful. The definitive must have. Both in terms of value - there are sooooooooooo many good useable things in here - and quality - the writing is hilarious, the methods easy to follow and the artwork immaculate.

I don't have time to write an essay here but I am willing to put money on the fact that if you buy volume 1 - you WILL buy volumes 2 and 3 without fail.

Paul Harris is so generous with these books that you could indeed be looking at several magicians careers in these volumes and not just one.

Let me know what you think

SharkTrager

Postby Mandrake » Nov 17th, '03, 13:50

If you're into card working then these are so full of ideas and routines you'll probably never need to spend any more money - except on decks of cards, of course. There's still a lot left for those who don't get turned on so much by card tricks and, as mentioned above, each volume has so much more than instructions and descriptions - there's a great deal of humour and sheer fun which is totally unconnected with any particular magic effect. I haven't managed to read through all of them yet but I just open one of the volumes at a random page and take it from there - great fun and very surprising.

OK, they cost a fair amount of cash but, IMHO, are well worth it. You might want to put them at the top of your Christmas Prezzie list but ask Santa to get them now and keep them hidden for you as they will either be in short supply or out of print by the end of the year.

Mandrake
'

Postby magicdiscoman » Nov 17th, '03, 14:08

any links or price eager minds want to know.

magicdiscoman

Postby bananafish » Nov 17th, '03, 14:31

A few places sell them still, some have run out of volume one though.

Merchant of Magic. sell them for £28.99, but have a special deal if you buy all three.

bananafish
Veteran Member

Postby Mandrake » Nov 17th, '03, 15:26

You may find stock overseas - check out penguin, L&L and also http://www.magicgeek.com/products/zarto ... hment.html (yes, I know, daft name but what the hell!) - a google search finds a lot of places still advertising them at varying prices.

Mandrake
'

Postby Scott F. Guinn » Nov 19th, '03, 10:54

I concur--exceptional books. I may be able to get them for you at a fair price ($40 each + shipping) if you can't find them elsewhere.

Scott F. Guinn

Postby BeerForDolphins » Nov 21st, '03, 11:07

Also Magicbox in newcastle have a special offer an all three....

BeerForDolphins
Preferred Member

Postby BeerForDolphins » Nov 24th, '03, 15:25

.....and they have just arrived. Looking through (VERY briefly)...there is a HUGE amount of stuff in here. When you think that you pay between £25 and £30 for a DVD, for £72 notes you could have a lifetimes worth of tricks.

BeerForDolphins
Preferred Member

Postby seige » Nov 24th, '03, 16:23

My personal advice is to read the books in their entireity before attempting the tricks. You'll understand how Paul's mind works a bit better, and probably understand the effects a lot better too!!!

It's a vast lump of magic - and you'll need to be leisurely!

seige

Postby fletch » Jan 5th, '04, 12:18

Well my subtle hints of sending the other half a link to this book worked (mentalism in action??) and a brand shiny new volume one popped out of its wrapping on Christmas day. I have to say I am in full agreement on the value of this work and will certainly be buying (either directly or indirectly) the following two volumes. There is a serious amount of info in here and some really excellent effects written in an entusiastic and interesting style.

fletch
Preferred Member

Next

Return to Reviews Request

Aeternum Servare Secreta A web site set up to sell my book, THE STRIPPER DECK, and future magical/mentalism titles. Playing Cards for Magicians Dude That's Cool Magic Sorcery Shop - Home of the ITR World-Of-Magic, Suppliers of quality Magic Worldwide Best prices around!