Stealing Pips - the Visual Card Magic of Oz (DVD)

Bought a trick? Let us know what you think!
About to buy a trick? Be sure to read our Archived user reviews here and in the three new sections above before buying!

Moderators: nickj, Lady of Mystery, Mandrake, bananafish, support

World-Of-Magic, Suppliers of quality Magic Worldwide A web site set up to sell my book, THE STRIPPER DECK, and future magical/mentalism titles. Playing Cards for Magicians Visit Magicbox for all the latest and best effects! MagicWorld Magic Shop for Magic Tricks Aeternum Servare Secreta

Stealing Pips - the Visual Card Magic of Oz (DVD)

Postby seige » Aug 1st, '03, 11:13

The Effect
An absolute GEM of a DVD - a collection of top-class card illusions and effects, along with some awesome utility moves. Great for both beginners and pros alike. You'll kick yourself if you miss this one, I promise!

Cost
$29.99 from Penguinmagic.com ( http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=617 )

Difficulty 4/5
(1=easy to do, 2=No sleights, but not so easy, 3=Some sleights used,
4=Advanced sleights used[b], 5=Suitable for experienced magicians only)

[b]Review

Oz Pearlman (pronounced 'Owes'). Who is he then?
Well, from the first time I mentioned Penguin magic on this board, a lot of you have agreed that their demo videos are second to none. They are clear, well produced, and performed by a TRUE magician. The guy in the videos always adds his own special touches to an effect - which sometimes is better than the original.

The man in the majority of videos on Penguin is Oz Pearlman - a professional magician turned teacher - and if his name does not become a buzzword in the magic community (I think it has already), I will eat my breakfast (risk-free disclaimer, of course!)

This DVD is absolutely fantastic. I was advised by Penguin's email pre-release, and I ordered immediately. (In fact, my copy is signed and serial numbered '#3').

Upon receipt, I sat and watched the whole thing. Then I watched it again with deck of cards in hand.

Although there was nothing new to me as far as actual sleights go, the way they are used here is nothing short of inspirational. And it served to jog my memory about sleights I learned eons ago, and had forgotten...

From the gorgeous usage of Oz's take on the Bertram Change (which is used in several effects) to the wonderful 'Dirty Deck Principle' method of creating an almost spectator-invisible indicator card - which beats the pants off corner shortening, pencil dots and crimps.

There's and amazing array of tricks too - all with cracking endings. Once you've mastered the three moves taught (Bertram change, dirty deck, and a variation of the angle-jog spread, and Oz's refined Zenneth Alignment Move - from Zenneth King of Keighley's Impossible Twis) you're ready to rock and roll with the effects!

All you really need is a red and blue deck of bikes, some basic household supplies, and you've got a whole routine right here on the DVD.

I've had this DVD for about a month now, and in honesty, it's the freshest, cleanest and most inspiring piece of magical literature/teaching I've had the pleasure to view for quite some time.

Moves such as the Bertram change, which is an awesome colour change move, are detailed and used in a whole new way. The angle jog spread move will become instantly part of my routines. And more...

Overall
I knew the guy was a genius. For well over a year, he's both amazed and entertained me with his video demos on Penguin. And now, he's out there on his own.

This DVD contains card magic. Nothing but. There's sleights, mentalism, routines, forces, utilities - and it's all stuff which is contemporary, fresh and visual.

I'd rate it 10/10 in all departments.

If you're reasonably dextrous in the sleights department - buy it now.
If you're afraid of sleights but want $30 of magical entertainment - buy it now.
If you're new to card magic, and looking for tricks and routines - buy it now.

Oh, by the way, I really like this DVD. :wink:

seige

Postby jabba01 » Aug 1st, '03, 12:12

I too have been impressed by Oz. The demo for this looks truly awesome, and this is on my wishlist if I have any money left on myreturn from Hols.

I also believe that if you buy it now from penguin you get a nadded bonus, can't remember what it is though.

J

jabba01
Preferred Member

Location: Lost in a maze of magic, Wife still looking!!! (39/AH)

Postby seige » Aug 1st, '03, 12:27

The added bonus is another effect - downloadable card-sandwich effect.

It's not really a required incentive, though.

Unbeknown to most people, after buying a trick from Penguin, there's a demo video available in the "Learn" section, after selecting "Penguins Only" from the menu on the left. (You have to log in to the site, though)

This will bring up a list of ALL your Penguin purchases - and gives you a step-by-step video instruction of how to perform your new purchase (not by Oz, though)

seige

Postby jabba01 » Aug 1st, '03, 12:40

Plus a discussion board that you are allowed to discuss tricks you have bought with other Magi.

J

jabba01
Preferred Member

Postby the_mog » Sep 7th, '03, 15:20

a very good example of a bertram change can be seen performed by bugnote on magicbunny for those who dont know what it is...

although i do have an idea of what it consists of now im still nowhere near enough to doing it as good :mrgreen:

but if its what i think it is, isnt it a very angle specific move?

Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989.. :mrgreen:
the_mog

Postby seige » Oct 2nd, '03, 16:55

Angle specific - yes - but consider that because of the way the cards are held, the hand is very natural and does not raise suspicion anyway.

The move is taught very well on the DVD.

seige

Postby jabba01 » Nov 1st, '03, 13:26

I have at last caved in and bought this DVD. Mind you with the post strike I may not see it until the new year.

At least I get to see the added bonus in the learning zone on Penguin.

I will add an amatuers view of it after I have had it for a bit.

J

jabba01
Preferred Member

Awesome review

Postby Bcfaigg » Dec 2nd, '04, 20:50

Right, Seige has sold it to me (not that I need much convincing). The demo does look awesome, and I am beginning to worry that I am spending to much of my 'ill-gotten gains' on penguinmagic at the moment.
I also think that Oz is amazing, and am willing to follow suit and eat my own breakfast (and Seige's too) if he doesn't become a legend in the magic community.
I can hardly wait.
Gopes

Bcfaigg

Postby dat8962 » Dec 2nd, '04, 21:52

This is an amazing DVD and one that I've had in my collection for a few months now.

However, I do disagree with Seige on one point and it's that I think that the routines are a little too ambitious for beginners to learn. Yes, it's a good DVD if you want entertainment while watching the brilliant Oz at work but I'd recommend that anyone who's just starting out with card magic get's Oz's Born to Perform Card Magic DVD first!

Other than that - great review!

Member of the Magic Circle & The 2009 British Isles Close-Up Magician of the Year
It's not really an optical illusion - it just looks like one!
dat8962
Veteran Member

Return to Archived Reviews - now closed

Manufacturer of modern & unique magic apparatus! Best prices around! Sorcery Shop - Home of the ITR Web Design for Magicians UK's Online Magic Tricks and Jokes Shop offers kids and beginner magic tricks and jokes. Dude That's Cool Magic Best prices around!