Tricks for Beginners. Dis-cord by Yankee Tom

Bought a trick? Let us know what you think!
About to buy a trick? Be sure to read our Archived user reviews here and in the three new sections above before buying!

Moderators: nickj, Lady of Mystery, Mandrake, bananafish, support

Best prices around! Dude That's Cool Magic Best prices around! UK's Online Magic Tricks and Jokes Shop offers kids and beginner magic tricks and jokes. World-Of-Magic, Suppliers of quality Magic Worldwide Playing Cards for Magicians

Tricks for Beginners. Dis-cord by Yankee Tom

Postby bananafish » Sep 22nd, '03, 17:00

Tricks for Beginners.

Dis-Cord. by Yankee Tom
9.90 from www.eMagictricks.Co.Uk
http://emagictricks.co.uk/product_info. ... ts_id=4548

The Effect.
The spectator helps to tie a large bronze Chinese coin on to a length of cord. The ends of the cord are then threaded through two metal disks, and finally the cord is threaded through a specially modified handkerchief that has a hole sewn into the middle.

The handkerchief is now covering the large Chinese coin and two metal disks.

The spectator keeps hold of the ends of the cord as the magician reaches under the handkerchief and casually removes the metal disks…leaving the coin still tied to the cord! Everything can be inspected both before and after

Difficulty. 1/5 (or maybe a 2 if you use my routine with it - see below).
1=Even I can do it, 2=No sleights, but not so easy, 3=Some sleights used,
4=Advanced sleights used, 5=Suitable for experienced magicians only)

Examinable Yes. Totally. 100%.

Review.
This is so so easy, and yet so so very effective. It is literally self working – there is absolutely nothing I can think of that would stop anyone from being able to perform this and get a marvellous reaction. Not only that, it has been beautifully made up with a really nice large bronze Chinese coin (and I do mean large – if you wanted to go to a retro 70’s party as medallion man – then look no further).

It also includes a nice piece of cord with beads on the end (very useful for many other cord tricks) and a handkerchief with a hole in the middle surrounded by a brass ring. All very well made and very professional looking.

This has to be right up there with the pena coin as one of the best all round tricks for a begician.

Alternative Routine
The way I do the trick now is to use three metal disks – painted red, blue and white and a borrowed finger ring.

I tie the knot on as usual, then place the white disc and the borrowed ring through the cord – and cover with the hanky – as per the instructions.

When I go under the hanky, I have in my hand the palmed red and blue disc. I remove the ring and swap the white disc for the red disc. I then make sure that the white disc and ring (the two items that were on the cord) are palmed whilst I hold out the blue disc between my thumb and forefinger, which I now hand out to a spectator to be examined.

I claim that I have not only removed the green disc from the rope, but I have also magically made it change colour. Of course no one believes this (and why should they), they just assume that I had the blue disc in my hand all the time.

While this is going on, I look very indignant, with my hands in my pocket – secretly loading the “Marvellous Brass Box”, which I know bring out and place on the table and say something like – “well explain this then!”

The “MBB” is eventually unscrewed and everyone is amazed to see the borrowed ring in it. Then when the hanky is lifted – they see that indeed the metal disc also changed colour from white to red. Double Whammy.

Rating. Effect/item: 8/10, Quality of goods: 10/10, Value for money: 8/10

Bottom Line.
I must admit that when I got this I was at first a little disappointed as I already knew the secret of the trick. However, although I knew the workings I had never bothered to make it up and so I hadn’t actually ever performed it.

Well going by the reactions I get, this is really a very impressive little item and now at the bargain price of £9.90 too. It is reduced from £16.50 so be quick – as I suspect there is limited stock at that price!

All in all I am very glad I bought it. Even if I had made it up – it probably would have cost the same, took loads of time and it certainly wouldn’t have been as impressive as the version I bought.

bananafish
Veteran Member

Postby Ozman » Sep 30th, '03, 09:56

this is a great buy... when used in conjunction with the marvellous brass box (as suggested by bananafish) it's a total audience killer!

Ozman
Preferred Member

Return to Archived Reviews - now closed

Aeternum Servare Secreta Visit Magicbox for all the latest and best effects! MagicWorld Magic Shop for Magic Tricks Manufacturer of modern & unique magic apparatus! Web Design for Magicians A web site set up to sell my book, THE STRIPPER DECK, and future magical/mentalism titles. Sorcery Shop - Home of the ITR