Lennart Green's - Green magic volumes 1-3

Review area devoted to Magic Downloads, DVDs, Videos and similar non printed formats.

Moderators: nickj, Lady of Mystery, Mandrake, bananafish, support

Best prices around! UK's Online Magic Tricks and Jokes Shop offers kids and beginner magic tricks and jokes. MagicWorld Magic Shop for Magic Tricks A web site set up to sell my book, THE STRIPPER DECK, and future magical/mentalism titles. Sorcery Shop - Home of the ITR World-Of-Magic, Suppliers of quality Magic Worldwide

Lennart Green's - Green magic volumes 1-3

Postby seige » Sep 26th, '03, 17:01

Green Magic - by Lennart Green
Volumes 1-3, Video (PAL) - Approximately £75 from selected retailers

Description
Lennart Green is uniquely the most amiable and accomplished card magician of modern times. This is a three volume video series which gives us not only an insight into the awesome skills and incredible deft he's developed - but also a very unique and fun teaching series for those of us who want to venture a 'little further'.

Volume One
The FISM Act - See that act that won Lennart the world championship!

Volume Two
The Poker Deal - Lennart deals five different killer hands from a shuffled deck!
The Temple of Shiva - A magical, mystical routine painted with a story of the future.
Deceptive Perception - No matter which card the spectator selects, it is always the odd card!
The One-Two Separation - From an audience-shuffled deck, Lennart magically separates the cards from red and black!
The Angle Riffle Shuffle - One of the most deceptive false-shuffles ever created.

Volume Three
Fractal Harmony - A masterpiece of card magic using a backdrop of mathematical fractals.
2nd Birthday Gift - After magically producing a full bottle of whisky, a chosen card is removed from inside!

Review
Some time ago, I read an article in a magic publication about a Swedish magician called Lennart Green. Mixed into the article were words like 'unique', 'amazing', 'incredible', 'best', 'most skilled'... and not a single negative to be found.

Now, this interested me a lot. In particular, a description of something called 'The Laser Deal' - whereby the man had allegedly taken a REGULAR deck of cards and deals them one by one into the beam of a 'laser'. The point that the cards struck the table, they would disappear - apparently consumed by the laser.

This was pure sleight of hand - no gimmicks, no gaffs. The same article also stated that the same guy had been disqualified by the judges at a world magic championship on the grounds that 'there's no way he was using a regular deck'.

Well, he was. And he went on to win the world championship.

And when you see these videos, you'll understand why. 100% compulsive viewing - jaw-dropping, like almost watching magic for the very first time. I really did start to feel the hairs on my neck stand up as I watched in awe the aforementioned 'Laser Deal'. Truly amazing. Truly spectacular.

The first volume deals with the FISM championship itself, which is performed by Lennart at a rather dapper green table with a rather shocked audience. Teachings and insights follow - but rather disappointingly, no insight on Lennart's little baby 'The Snap Deal' (the move used in the Laser Deal'). The Snap Deal Booklet has since been released - but like these videos, strictly not for the faint-hearted.

Volume two is a lot more intimate. The routines are longer, and Lennart shares his insights into the moves he's honed to create the effects themselves. It's like watching poetry... and unlike some magic teachings - you'll be in tears when it finishes - you just want MORE!

Volume three is more of the same - but boy oh boy is this a biggie.

What you'll end up with is a set of usable routines that you can incorporate into your repertoire - or there's even enough here to base a whole performance around. You'll also learn some excellent utility moves along the way (lateral palm variations, card shooting, subtleties, surprise...) it's all there when you're ready.

Lennart's sense of humour is brilliant. His grasp of the English language is adequate, and there's a comedic ring to the way he pronounces certain words. His handling of the cards is flawless. Until you see the explanations, you be blown away. Even after the explanations, you'll still be scratching your head.

Bear in mind that this is all done with REGULAR CARDS. No gaff decks, no marked cards, nothing of the sort. It's incredible, but you must believe me that if you're a dedicated cardician - you'll be able to learn the stuff quite easily.

Overall
Although I would say that these videos are intended for VERY seasoned magicians, the actual sheer entertainment value of the alone makes them worth the money. I re-visit them often, and every time I watch, I become both more fascinated and more enlightened.

Nobody could ever become this fluent - it's a gift. I've tried and tried to master the laser deal to no avail - but I'll never give up.

I have to give this a mighty 10 out of 10 in ALL departments. Highly recommended.

seige

Postby bugnote » Sep 26th, '03, 21:26

i bought these tapes on seige's recommendations months ago, and like seige revisit them often, as already mentioned, they are an amazing set.

what I would like to add is a comment made by lennart on the first tape, something along the lines of, "...if you work with a deck of cards......"

this comment is one which I come back to often when I'm manipulating a deck and it has really made me think about the way I approach my magic, not just the learning of new sleights but of trying to work out new ways of doing things, even if they are already known to other magicians.

basically it made me realise that I wasn't looking at the deck and trying to do things on my own but relying on others to learn from....just wanted to add that, as these tapes really got me thinking.

Bug

bugnote

Postby seige » Oct 2nd, '03, 16:41

Nice one, Bug...

The tapes will indeed get your grey matter crunching. The way Lennart handles the cards is very inspiring. It's almost poetic.

To watch the way he makes the cards obey his commands is almost mesmerising. No matter how much I watch and learn, there's always more. Even Lennarts 'bluff' moves, in which he apparently drops cards sloppily and chucks them randomly in the deck are all controlled with an unbelievable precision.

It's a lesson to anyone who likes card magic. You really won't have seen anything quite like this before, I guarantee. Lennart has practically befriended the cards, and they work with him, not for him.

The hours he must have invested in becoming this clean have been well worth it - and if I could get to a level half this good, I'd be more than happy. I mean, imagine being able to shuffle a deck of cards, and produce your own shoe out of the cut! Sounds ridiculous, but the first time you see it, it blows you away.

seige

Postby BeerForDolphins » Oct 3rd, '03, 11:30

WHAT???......produce your own shoe???

...I have only seen the teaser showing the laser deal, which is fantastic. Devils Picturebook references Lennart Green all of the time, which is recommendation enough.

My wallet is going to be unbelievably light this Christmas...well.....my wifes purse is anyway!!!! hehe

BeerForDolphins
Preferred Member

Postby bananafish » Jan 8th, '04, 18:46

I've just heard that these three videos are being converted to DVD, and that there will also be an additional 4,5 and 6. :)

I now these are meant to be for the more advanced cardician - but I love watching good card magic, and it will give me something to aspire to. When these actually get released I think (you never know for sure) that I'll be getting them...

As far as I know the only place selling them initially will be A1.

http://www.a1magicalmedia.com/prod_temp ... uctid=1240

bananafish
Veteran Member

Postby Jing » Jan 8th, '04, 21:44

I'm overjoyed.
I was considering buying these but video's don't have the quality of dvds and so I'm glad to hear they're being re-released. I'm looking forward to the three new dvds aswell. I'd better start saving up.

Jing

Postby jabba01 » Feb 13th, '04, 23:14

I have just purchased these and osterlind's four DVD set from a guy in the States that Seige recomended. I got a great deal 7 DVD's for £103 you gotta beleive it!!!!!!

This review section is costing me a fortune, where's the next CUPs meeting.........................

J

jabba01
Preferred Member

Location: Lost in a maze of magic, Wife still looking!!! (39/AH)

Postby bugnote » Feb 18th, '04, 14:29

okay chaps, if Mr Green is explaining his false riffle shuffles and snap deal then I must have them. whats the best source for them?

Regards

Nik

bugnote

Postby seige » Feb 18th, '04, 14:44

There are 3 new DVD volumes out - Vol 4 is Lennarts' Shuffles. Vol 5 is sleights, and Voilume 6, my friends, is where you will learn the snap deal and laser performance

I have the Snap deal booklet, and have ALMOST got it sussed, but can't wait to see how the whole routine is put together.

Natrually, I have all three on pre-order from the states :)

I will let y'all know!!!

seige

Postby bananafish » Feb 18th, '04, 14:46

As far as I know, they are only available form A1-Magicalmedia at the moment.

In saying that - there is a pretty good exchange rate - so buying from the US isn't actually a bad option.

bananafish
Veteran Member

Postby seige » Feb 18th, '04, 14:50

Frank Riposta: pastamagic@aol.com...

He'll sort you out...

No website, but deal by email and PayPal!

(Been dealing with him for ages. Very reputable, in the US...)

seige

Postby jabba01 » Feb 18th, '04, 15:09

I also deal with Frank, he is a great guy and some of the deals he cuts are fantastic, combine that with the current exchange rate and that he accepts Paypal and he just can't be beat.

Cheers

J

P.S. Seige if you find that he is doing a deal on the next 3 DVD's let me know.

jabba01
Preferred Member

Location: Lost in a maze of magic, Wife still looking!!! (39/AH)

Postby Jing » Feb 18th, '04, 20:01

I will definetly have to get all six. My next extravagent purchase. How much is $185 in pounds anyway, Do you think they'll sell them in Balckpool at the convention? Any idea if they will be released in Britain? How soon?

Mr. Green :mrgreen: Is an amazing card worker...
(do you see what i've done there!! hee hee)

Jing

Postby nickj » Feb 18th, '04, 21:50

As of 20:47 tonight $185 = £98.1206, so that's pretty cheap, £16.35 each if that's the cost for all six!

Cogito, ergo sum.
Cogito sumere potum alterum.
nickj
Elite Member

Postby seige » Feb 19th, '04, 09:59

Yep. That would be all six.

seige

Next

Return to Reviews - Electronic media format

Dude That's Cool Magic Manufacturer of modern & unique magic apparatus! Best prices around! Aeternum Servare Secreta Web Design for Magicians Visit Magicbox for all the latest and best effects! Playing Cards for Magicians