EXIT 51 by Ben Harris

Bought a trick? Let us know what you think!
About to buy a trick? Be sure to read our Archived user reviews here and in the three new sections above before buying!

Moderators: nickj, Lady of Mystery, Mandrake, bananafish, support

Dude That's Cool Magic Visit Magicbox for all the latest and best effects! Aeternum Servare Secreta Manufacturer of modern & unique magic apparatus! Sorcery Shop - Home of the ITR Best prices around!

EXIT 51 by Ben Harris

Postby Jordan C » Nov 8th, '03, 23:22

The Effect

A FULL VIEW vanish of 51 cards leaving only a signed selection and an astonished audience!

Cost

US$20, (approx £12) - I bought the deluxe Limited Edition set at $35 (approx £21)

Difficulty
(1=easy to do, 2=No sleights, but not so easy, 3=Some sleights used,
4=Advanced sleights used, 5=Suitable for experienced magicians only)

2 to 3, kinda fumbly to get to grips with but once you've got the handling natural looking its pretty straight forward

Review

Well as soon as I saw this on Ben's site I had to get it. Originally I went to his site on the advice of the owner of one of the magic stores I use as I was looking for some good IT. As luck would have it Ben had just released this trick and I was one of the first to order. (My Limited Edition booklet is numbered 003 of 100)

After a frustrating delay while our effervescent postman striked I finally received it today, it's been worth the wait!

As part of my kit I received the gimmick hand made by Ben, an additional booklet regarding a card stab exit and a well presented, glossy covered A4 booklet.

The instructions are probably the finest I've seen so far in my relatively short time in magic (18months). I often dread effects when I read thru the instructions because they usually sound so complicated. Not so with Bens Exit 51.

It's all very well presented with different sections. You get an explanation of the effect or what the audience sees. Then we have a gimmick and procedural overview where the history of EXIT 51 is explained. The 2 stages of the effect are also explained.

Then we are very clearly led thru the construction of the gimmicks (I dont need to make this yet as I received a ready made one but it looks very simple and straightforward). Gimmick number 2 is optional.

Then, again very clearly, we are led thru the deck setup and switching manoeuvre. Very simple to set up, and the switch is practically impercetible and very natural looking.

We are taken step by step thru the vanish of the deck and various cuts, We are also treated to variations of the vanish.

Then we are presented with the performance. Clearly we are taken thru the routine allowing an opportunity for a card to freely selected and signed, then returned to the deck. Everything again is clear and easy to follow.

The way the deck vanishes is beautifully simple and highly effective, the trick is over before the eyes of suspicion start honing in on your actions.

We finish up with some notes from Ben about performance.

Overall

BRILLIANT!!

I'm a clumsy clutz yet I still managed to get this effect working very effectively and very quickly.

I can't say whether or not its worth buying the deluxe as opposed to the normal version but that said I'm not complaining at paying £21 at all. It's worth every penny and is very effective. Just follow Bens simple advice and you're away performing a fantastic miracle.

The presentation of the instructions have been well thought out and the result is a very easy to follow routine and effect where you'll even stun yourself the first time you do this in front of a mirror.

5 out of 5

Available From

So far I'm only aware of it being available from Ben direct at
http://www.wowbound.com

Go get it, you'll love it!!! :lol: :D

Jordan C
Advanced Member

Postby seige » Nov 13th, '03, 19:31

I must admit, I saw the video demo of this and was VERY impressed.

I'm familiar with Paul Harris' vanishing deck effect, which this effect is based upon, and yet this seems a LOT cleaner - especially with the signed card twist.

Where's my wallet...

seige

Postby Jordan C » Nov 13th, '03, 19:50

Its a wicked little trick. I've been showing it to anyone who will sit still long enough.

Go get ya wallet seige

Jordan C
Advanced Member

Postby Mark Waddington » Nov 13th, '03, 20:45

sounds great...i will certainly be getting my copy. You can also buy it from JBmagic for a meer £16.95 :wink:

Mark Waddington
Elite Member

Postby Jordan C » Nov 13th, '03, 20:54

Cool, however I got a signed copy for £21, had I bought it without the hand made gimmick and without the signed edition direct from Ben it would've been £12. £17 is still a damn good price for this effect though so support our UK dealers and buy it in the UK if you can.

Have you ordered one then BoyWonder???

Jordan C
Advanced Member

Postby Mark Waddington » Nov 13th, '03, 20:56

Not yet im gonna ask my mum and dad for one for christmas

Mark Waddington
Elite Member

Postby Charles Calthrop » Nov 14th, '03, 11:21

I recently bought this and I'm impressed by the quality of the booklet. Very well written instructions and presentational ideas, and the method is very clever, but...I just haven't had the courage to try this yet.
I'm totally willing to accept that I'm worrying too much, but this is an effect that needs some, er, 'front' to carry off. I'm going to demo it to a couple of magi friends of mine soon before trying it on real people. I'd be interested to hear form anyone who has performed this for laymen.

What you call heroism is just an expression of this fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots
Charles Calthrop

Postby Jordan C » Nov 14th, '03, 13:26

I just haven't had the courage to try this yet.
I'm totally willing to accept that I'm worrying too much, but this is an effect that needs some, er, 'front' to carry off. I'm going to demo it to a couple of magi friends of mine soon before trying it on real people. I'd be interested to hear form anyone who has performed this for laymen.

Hi Charles. If you have a look at the demo vid that Ben did for the trick you will see how natural and smooth the effect looks. I've done this for a few of my friends who are all "laymen" and they've all been wiped out by this effect. I now use this at the end of about 3 different card routines and I find it ditches the pack perfectly to allow me to do some other magic afterwards.

The switchbit gimmick really goes by un-noticed and when you do a body turn to the audience for the cutting of the deck they really dont notice. Its not until the deck vanishes they realise anything.

Practice in front a mirror to get your angles right and believe me, you'll blow everyone away!!

PM if you want clearer advice.

Bens demo video can be found here - http://www.wowbound.com/images/nuexit51.avi

Jordan C
Advanced Member

Return to Archived Reviews - now closed

A web site set up to sell my book, THE STRIPPER DECK, and future magical/mentalism titles. MagicWorld Magic Shop for Magic Tricks UK's Online Magic Tricks and Jokes Shop offers kids and beginner magic tricks and jokes. World-Of-Magic, Suppliers of quality Magic Worldwide Playing Cards for Magicians Web Design for Magicians Best prices around!