Penomenon - by J.Mirage

Bought a trick? Let us know what you think!
About to buy a trick? Be sure to read our Archived user reviews here and in the three new sections above before buying!

Moderators: nickj, Lady of Mystery, Mandrake, bananafish, support

UK's Online Magic Tricks and Jokes Shop offers kids and beginner magic tricks and jokes. Best prices around! Manufacturer of modern & unique magic apparatus! World-Of-Magic, Suppliers of quality Magic Worldwide Visit Magicbox for all the latest and best effects! Playing Cards for Magicians

Penomenon - by J.Mirage

Postby Ozman » Mar 10th, '04, 22:11

Description
’Penomenon’ - by J.Mirage

Cost & Availability
£16.99 - www.alakazam.co.uk

Difficulty – 1
(1=easy to do, 2=No sleights, but not so easy, 3=Some sleights used, 4=Advanced sleights used, 5=Suitable for experienced magicians only)

Review – “You place an ordinary pen on the edge of a table or flat surface and, using only your psychic powers, cause the pen to swivel left or right! The pen is apparently under your complete control, and everything may be closely examined! No threads, magnets, weights, use of air or gimmicks to be found!”

Believe it or not – the advertorial description is spot on. You take a pen. Place it on the edge of the table (or atop a beer bottle), and with a few wiggles of your magic fingers it begins to either spin or topples from it’s perch! You can hand the pen to your audience for a DETAILED examination. They will not find the secret! If they try to duplicate the effect it will not work. Reset is quick and easy (although a little misdirection might be required).

It’s a very, very powerful effect. And quite mystifying (even to magicians)! Indeed – check these quotes:

"Penomenon is not just another trick. It's an event with a wonderful and deeply perplexing secret. I do it. I love it." - David Regal

"This is freaky scary! This is one of the most amazing things I've seen in a long time!" - Gregory Wilson

"No threads or magnets? You've killed me!" - Andy Nyman

Overall – now this is a tricky item to rate. The effect is wonderful and most people will get a lot of use out of it. But (and it’s a big but), you might suffer a serious dose of jiffy bag rage when your package arrives. This is one of those great ideas that should have occurred to us all. I did feel a bit cheated when I read through the instructions. But having tried the effect on a few people, I have to admit – it’s worth it!

How often have we all been guilty of buying the latest crazy gadget that promises magical miracles only to discover that it involves a hideously complex gizmo that restricts angles and examinability (and therefore credibility)? I have a whole box full of ridiculously over complicated gaffs for tricks I never bother performing. How much would you be willing to pay for a truly impromptu PK effect that seems utterly impossible? I reckon £16.99 is ok!

But don’t say I didn’t warn you!

8/10

Ozman
Preferred Member

Moving Pen

Postby roman59 » Mar 11th, '04, 10:00

Good review!

If you really want to make then pen fly & hold its extra special something for a lot longer its really worth investing in the EM Pocket Charger.

Also the bulk standard Bic Stick pens work really well with the charger also & can be left behind after your performance!

Cheers

Mark

roman59

Postby Gochos The Greek » Oct 16th, '04, 05:31

Pnomenon is actaully described in the Tarbell course in Magic. When i have time it ry and dish it out if its of any use.

So charging for an effetc that effectively has been described in a book, then well, i will classify that as a ripoff

Gochos The Greek
Preferred Member

Return to Archived Reviews - now closed

Web Design for Magicians Sorcery Shop - Home of the ITR MagicWorld Magic Shop for Magic Tricks Best prices around! Aeternum Servare Secreta Dude That's Cool Magic A web site set up to sell my book, THE STRIPPER DECK, and future magical/mentalism titles.