The Chameleon Deck

Bought a trick? Let us know what you think!
About to buy a trick? Be sure to read our Archived user reviews here and in the three new sections above before buying!

Moderators: nickj, Lady of Mystery, Mandrake, bananafish, support

UK's Online Magic Tricks and Jokes Shop offers kids and beginner magic tricks and jokes. Web Design for Magicians Playing Cards for Magicians Visit Magicbox for all the latest and best effects! Dude That's Cool Magic Best prices around!

The Chameleon Deck

Postby Happy Toad » Mar 22nd, '04, 18:08

Can be bought from :

http://www.worldmagicshop.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=275

Cost: £12.50 Inc P&P

Effect:

A blue deck is shown and then a card freely chosen ( No force ) the spec is then amazed to find the card they chose is the only red card in the deck. The trick is however not over, in the blink of an eye and the click of the magicans fingers the whole pack is shown to have turned red to match the chosen card.

There are no sleights involved although there are 2 optional sleights that can be used for a slightly more powerful way of achieving the same ending.

THE ABOVE IS JUST ONE WAY OF USING THE DECK...

However, the deck is now re-launched with a glossy colour booklet, with three additional effects and tips on handling (all written, designed and produced by our own Seige).

This booklet alone is worth buying the deck for. The three bonus effects utilise the deck each in a very different way... the 'Probability, probably.', 'Retaw and Lio Football' and 'Colourblind' effects will all make the value of this purchase real.

Difficulty:

1 out of 5 only real skill needed is to be able to dribble the cards. Very good CD video instructions that take you through the trick. Plus excellent documentation.

Examination is not possible before or after—although, with a bit of thought and following the routining, there's actually no suspicion or need too.

Conclusion :

A good trick of it's type and for the price, does get a good reaction and then another good reaction. :lol:

"Hodge scored for Forest after 22 seconds - totally against the run of
play" (Peter Lorenzo)
Happy Toad
Advanced Member

Postby bananafish » Jun 24th, '04, 11:22

This one slipped by a little unnoticed really, and as I now have it, I thought it deserves a few extra words.

The main thing that put me off buying this initially was that I already had sneak-a-peak, and frankly that was enough to put me off any trick based on a colour changing effect. I also wrongly assumed that the deck would be the same.

Well it isn't.

The Chameleon deck is much more visual, much easier to perform, and much better documented than any similarly marketted effects that I have seen. I haven't had this for long but the reactions I have already been getting actually surprised me. I didn't think that this was going to be as effective as it is.

I think that because it is so visual it looks more like magic and less like a card trick.

One of my favourite card tricks for a while has been Dai Vernon's Colour Changing Pack routine from his ""Inner Secrets of Card Magic" or the "Inner Card Trilogy" (great book by the way), but now I will be using this instead, as the whole deck really does change colour in a blink of an eye.

The sleights that Happy Toad mentioned are well worth adding to the main routine. As they make a world of difference and (IMO) they aren't too difficult (and if I am saying that you just gotta believe it). They are also very well explained on the vcd that comes as part of the package...

Which brings me to the last point. The marketting of this product is simply the best. How often have you bought an efefct only to find that the instructions are badly photocopied on a scrappy bit of paper. Well not with this one..

You get, A red or Blue backed deck, a wonderfully produced full colour booklet, complete with several good routines, lots of clear diagrams and some excellent tips for handling. On top of this, you also get a good quality VCD that goes through in detail one of the routines, and all the extra sleights that can (optionally) be used.

The only people that the Chameleon deck won't be suited for is the card purests out there who wish to do all their magic with a single ungaffed deck. For me though, every now and again I like adding in something special to my routines, and this one fits the bill nicely.

bananafish
Veteran Member

Postby Happy Toad » Jun 24th, '04, 12:21

Well I'm glad someone else has finally reviewed this trick as it really is a great deck and well worth buying.
I agree with all of your comments. So unless you are one of the I never use a gaffed deck brigade, get this one, you won't be disappointed.

play" (Peter Lorenzo)
Happy Toad
Advanced Member

Postby magicdiscoman » Jun 24th, '04, 14:45

ok sounds good but is this on par with brainwave or ID or is it better??.
maybey i should just pm seige. :wink: :wink:
how fiddly can it be for thoughs with poor dexterity or bad shakes like me. :?:

magicdiscoman

Postby Happy Toad » Jun 24th, '04, 15:08

It's a completely different trick.

All I can say is you will get great reactions and it's very easy to do, not fiddly at all.

play" (Peter Lorenzo)
Happy Toad
Advanced Member

Postby bananafish » Jun 24th, '04, 15:11

It's not on par with either the brainwave nor the ID, as it is a totally different effect from either of those.

Just out of interest, it also can't be compared to the haunted key, nor the sucker die box :) :)

It's not difficult, and imo it doesn't require a lot of dexterity, although it does require a little practice before being demonstrated to the world.

bad shakes? well that might be a problem. depends how bad.

The only question you have to ask yourself, is that if after reading the main effect, is this something you can actually see yourself using?

bananafish
Veteran Member

Postby magicdiscoman » Jun 24th, '04, 15:14

thanxs for that happy, iv'e just started stage two of the shakes and so can't do coin slights any more and i have a booking on the 10th so thease cards could be right up my street.

magicdiscoman

Postby Pcwizme » Jun 25th, '04, 11:06

looks like a nouther trip out of the wallet for my card oh well C.U.P.S only gets better when you give in well at least for half an hour well lets go shopping

ps this trick sounds supperb

Pcwizme

PCWIZME thats me!!

Need a prop? have an idea for a trick but cant work it out? Ask me via PM and ill have a look for you
Pcwizme

Postby Coin Lover » Jun 25th, '04, 14:21

Just want to say that everything that has been said about this deck is true and more. It's a fantastic deck and makes an ideal opener at any table. Because the effect is so easy it allows you to concentrate on presentation and settle your nerves before moving into the more demanding stuff. Really a fantastic effect, top marks

Craig

Coin Lover

Postby Happy Toad » Jun 25th, '04, 15:39

While your ordering I'd recommend also buying "Minds In focus" from the same place.

I reviewed it here http://www.talkmagic.co.uk/ftopic3268.php

Great excuse to swap decks too cos it is a deck clearly numbered, and after using you would need to swap again because of the numbers, allowing you to make, as if swapping back to the chameleon deck but actually go to a regular deck.

play" (Peter Lorenzo)
Happy Toad
Advanced Member

Postby Gochos The Greek » Jul 10th, '04, 16:44

Funny you said that Toad, that’s exactly what I did last week.

I was in Cyprus and performing a few tricks for a few people and did the chameleon deck, it went down really well. then i thought the best thing to do is move over to the Minds in Focus deck, kill them with that then get out my ungimmicked deck of bikes and finish clean.

Gochos The Greek
Preferred Member

Postby dat8962 » Dec 3rd, '04, 19:42

I've just got this and picked up the technique immediately and like everyone else seems to think, this is a stunner!

The packaging, booklet and CD ROM are superb and ranks amongst the best that I've seen to date for quality and clarity.

My fave routine is the Retaw & Lio Football clubs. I can imagine already the red / blue angles on United vs City, Liverpool vs Everton, Bournemouth vs Pompey

Member of the Magic Circle & The 2009 British Isles Close-Up Magician of the Year
It's not really an optical illusion - it just looks like one!
dat8962
Veteran Member

Return to Archived Reviews - now closed

Sorcery Shop - Home of the ITR Best prices around! Aeternum Servare Secreta Manufacturer of modern & unique magic apparatus! A web site set up to sell my book, THE STRIPPER DECK, and future magical/mentalism titles. MagicWorld Magic Shop for Magic Tricks World-Of-Magic, Suppliers of quality Magic Worldwide