Ray Kosby - Impossible Card Magic

Review area devoted to Magic Downloads, DVDs, Videos and similar non printed formats.

Moderators: nickj, Lady of Mystery, Mandrake, bananafish, support

Best prices around! Web Design for Magicians Aeternum Servare Secreta Playing Cards for Magicians Sorcery Shop - Home of the ITR World-Of-Magic, Suppliers of quality Magic Worldwide

Ray Kosby - Impossible Card Magic

Postby Daremyth » Mar 25th, '04, 03:07

The Video:
This is a video featuring Ray Kosby doign some of the tricks which he is famous for and some of the most difficult tricks I've ever seen.

Cost:
$29.95 at Meir Yedid magic for a NTSC or PAL video casette.

Difficulty:
4-5

Wow. In this video Ray Kosby explains some very effective and extremely difficult tricks. There are 12 tricks in total in the video and range in difficulty from advanced sleights like "Smudge" to extremely difficult sleights such as "Raise Riser".

Overall:
6/10

In my opinion, many of these tricks do not deliver a strong enough effect on a layperson to justify the effort put into the sleights. While watching many of the the effects, I could readily think of a way to do almost the same effect, with much simpler sleights. While these tricks will certainly fool other cardworkers who are familiar with basic sleights, much of the strength of the effect is in the difficulty, which isn't readily apparent to the layman. Another note is this man has possibly the worst patter ever. It is honestly a struggle to get through this hour long video and listen to him. He is amazingly technical, but his personality and presentation leave a lot to be desired.

Bottom Line:
Definitely a purchase for those people looking for obscure and difficult effects, but for the normal performer, much simpler sleights will get you the same result.

Daremyth

Postby bananafish » Apr 7th, '04, 09:30

This brings up an interesting question.

There are now so many very easy to do, instant miracle type tricks out there, is there any need, apart from self satisfaction, in learning very difficult card sleights?

It is true to say that the more sleights you learn, the larger your repetoire of magic, however it is also true to say that you could be a working professional and only need to know 10 good tricks.

bananafish
Veteran Member

Postby nickj » Apr 7th, '04, 12:09

It's not only possible but it happens!

As you know I love sleights and for some reason very rarely bother to learn self working or very easy tricks, mainly because I have got so used to using sleights that I think a trick will be to obvious to a spectator if I don't. I kow that this is complete rubbish but it is a problem I have, so from my point of view this video sounds great!

Cogito, ergo sum.
Cogito sumere potum alterum.
nickj
Elite Member

Postby bananafish » Apr 7th, '04, 12:29

The thing is that from the spectators point of view a trick is purely the effect/presentation, so if the same trick is done by two magicians, one using sleights and the other a clever gimmick then given that the presentations are the same, then the specator will think both magicians are equally clever.

Which if you know the sleights just seems unfair. Especially if magician B. wins the close up competition...

bananafish
Veteran Member

Postby Midas Kid » Apr 7th, '04, 12:45

You do need to learn as much as you can. These instant miracles as good but ... I don't know... Take for instance a situation where you wish to blow the audiences socks off and all you have is a trusty pack of dog eared waddingtons. Four cards are selected shuffled back into the deck. Four cards are then shown to be the four jacks and then four aces and then the four selections. You end clean by giving the cards back to the spectators.

I think whilst you are working hard there is a tension within in yourself which is then passed to the audience. But the satisfaction to end clean is.... and once then tension is released everyone is like phew! Hopefully huge applause will then follow.

I know that some sleights are "magician for magicians sake". Guy Hollingworth openly admits that his effect The Casandra Quandry can be done using a Svengali deck and a switching envelope. But for him to do the effect with regular cards and a regular envelope is what it is all about about (BTW this effect take some balls!).

What's the phrase "if you aim for your dreams the impossible becomes the possible and your dreams a reality" (correct me if I am wrong).

Midas Kid
Preferred Member

Postby bugnote » Apr 15th, '04, 08:51

i personally love this kosby video, yes his performance style is robotic, but you can forgive him that as the skill he has is off the scale.
when you first watch the explanation for Raise Rise, it just looks impossible, but knowing that ray can perform it effortlessly makes the practise worth it. (one year down and probably 2-3 years to go, if I'm lucky!)

Bug

P.S. For me, learning something new is as fun as performing, I can only equate my strive for knowledge to those stupid people that climb mountains 'because they are there'.

bugnote

Postby magicdiscoman » Apr 15th, '04, 10:55

nice review m8 but not my scene.

as a working pro i need tricks that were possible work themselves or at the very least have a concelead gimick thats never seen ie a tt.
card wise all i have ever needed is my trusty stripper / wizard deck.

that said i do coin work for the practise and my own amusement, though i do use gimicks were apropiate most is slight of hand, so i keep my work and my hobby essentialy seperate unless I'm doing a table demonstration or a coin work show.

magicdiscoman

Postby Daremyth » Apr 22nd, '04, 02:58

Often times I like to learn difficult sleights to challenge myself and occasionally perform them. However, the effects which are the mainstays of my routines are for the most part the simplest ones in my repertoire. When performing for spectators, the main thing I keep in mind is a ratio of the chance I might mess up versus the impact. If I have one trick which is extremely difficult, but slightly carries slightly more impact, and another trick which is almost the same impact, but foolproof, I'll unquestionably go with the easier trick. Laymen simply don't care. It's all magic to them and the difference between Raise Riser and a standard ambitious card is minimal at best. This is certainly not the case when performing for other magicians at conventions and the like, but for laymen, I generally keep this philosophy.

Daremyth

Postby Nikodemus » Nov 15th, '05, 17:57

Now I think I understand the word 'knuckle-busting'!!!

I bought this not really knowing what to expect (I am very new to magic). The tricks on this DVD are nearly all difficulty 4-5.
Some of the effects are pretty amazing, but I think you need to be very skilled to even attempt them.
EG the spec thinks of a card; Kosby fans the deck (backs to the spec) & raises one card. Spec names his card. Kosby turns the fan to show the spec his card is the one he raised! This effect is accomplished by an incredibly smooth sleight whereby he pushes up the correct card as he turns the fan to face the audience. (I don't think there is any problem with me revealing the method here - because it is so ******* difficult!!!)
All the tricks are like this - very direct, but requiring incredible dexterity.

Also some of the tricks are not very clearly explained. He makes a lot of references to sleights which he obviously assumes you know. He only really explains his own variations, without bothering to cover the basics of the moves.
Great for pros perhaps - but not for me!!!

Oh yes - and this guy's delivery is WOODEN!

Nikodemus
Preferred Member

Postby MagicBill » Nov 20th, '05, 07:37

I totally agree with most of the above points - amazing sleight of hand, but god-awful presentation!!!

Ray's technical ability is outstanding - that cannot be questioned. However, the poor guy looks so uncomfortable that there is a clear feeling of unease within his audience. He has some of the worst lines I've ever heard!

Although magicians are impressed at the clever stuff, he's clearly not a performer for lay people. A magician with good presentation doing self-workers would be more entertaining any day!

David Regal, in my opinion, has some of the best presentations ever! His first set of tapes (featuring 'Everywhere' and 'Flight of Fancy' amongst others) are outstanding. The effects are original, amazing and look technically impressive.

His explanations are just as entertaining and he spends an equal amount of time emphasising the importance of good presentation. If you haven't already seen/bought these tapes/dvds - do so now. I perform 'Everywhere' all the time and it just totally blows people away - especially if you verbally force the suit at the end ;-)

MagicBill

Postby dimabbq » Aug 13th, '08, 20:09

No man with such skill deserves to have a fantastic persona as well...that's just too much.

Amazing hands though

dimabbq
Preferred Member

Postby Lenoir » Aug 13th, '08, 21:27

There are now so many very easy to do, instant miracle type tricks out there, is there any need, apart from self satisfaction, in learning very difficult card sleights?

After watching Lennart's self workers, I was convinced that you could achieve some of the best card effects with very little skill. However, upon recently watching a lot of Darwin Ortiz's work, I was very much mistaken.
Things like the Unholy Three just can't be matched in my opinion, and even that isn't STUPIDLY advanced.

"I want to do magic...but I don't want to be referred to as a magician." - A layman chatting to me about magic.
Lenoir
Elite Member

Return to Reviews - Electronic media format

Dude That's Cool Magic UK's Online Magic Tricks and Jokes Shop offers kids and beginner magic tricks and jokes. A web site set up to sell my book, THE STRIPPER DECK, and future magical/mentalism titles. Manufacturer of modern & unique magic apparatus! Best prices around! MagicWorld Magic Shop for Magic Tricks Visit Magicbox for all the latest and best effects!