Kard Klub from ellusionist.com

Bought a trick? Let us know what you think!
About to buy a trick? Be sure to read our Archived user reviews here and in the three new sections above before buying!

Moderators: nickj, Lady of Mystery, Mandrake, bananafish, support

Sorcery Shop - Home of the ITR Web Design for Magicians UK's Online Magic Tricks and Jokes Shop offers kids and beginner magic tricks and jokes. Aeternum Servare Secreta Playing Cards for Magicians Dude That's Cool Magic

Kard Klub from ellusionist.com

Postby Daremyth » Apr 4th, '04, 07:58

The Video:
This is a video featuring Brad Christian first teaching the two card monte routine and then commenting on other submitted videos of people doing the two card monte routine.

Cost:
$43.95 on DVD or $39.95 on VHS or download from ellusionist.com.

Difficulty:

Overall:
2/10

I absolutely loathe this video. First of all, I dislike the method used for the two card monte routine in this video. It uses a top change, which I personally never use, but I understand that some people like it and I won't fault the video for that. However, the structure of this video almost appals me. Basically, it's a bunch of amateurs performing the 2 card monte routine, and then Brad criticizing the routine and giving pointers afterwards. While I thought it was a good idea, and think it is in theory, it's horribly executed. Many times, Brad comes off as incredibly patronizing and will dislike a routine simply because they use a slightly different patter than he does. I got really sick of him bashing alternative approaches as 'ineffective', when some of them are just as good or better than his. They also teach a card to wallet kicker, as well as Jonathan Bayme's 4 packet rotation cut. This kind of angered me because the cut is identical to the illogical cut by Johnny Mathiolas, but there is no credit given.

Bottom Line:
I disliked almost every part of this video. The lack of variety in effects, the patronizing attitude of Brad, the unoriginal material passed off as original. Spend this money on a Sankey DVD instead.

Daremyth

Postby NaipesEnJuego » Mar 29th, '06, 21:52

I Absolutely agree with you.

I wanna add one thing those Shemales in the transitions got nothing to do with the video. I gotta admit I really like the ellusionist esthetics used for all their videos, their previews and their site... but I gotta say this is one is one of the worst videos from the Ellusionist.

This should be a Gift if you buy another Title. It cannot be sold by itself...

NaipesEnJuego

Postby Dominick » Mar 29th, '06, 22:00

I wanna add one thing those Shemales in the transitions got nothing to do with the video.

Haha! :lol: I actually thought the same thing! I don't have the video, and most likely won't after reading this review, but when I saw the demo for it, I noticed how nasty looking the women were...

Thanks,
Dominick
Dominick

Postby magic8697 » Apr 1st, '06, 05:52

yep I thought the same thing too this video was such a big waste of money. But look at the downloads penguin has to sell most of those are a waste too

magic8697

Postby kevsashark » Jun 2nd, '06, 20:09

WOW! Those are some harsh words. I agree that it wasn't the greatest, but the idea behind it (i.e. having real performances from people of different ages) was cool, even if it didn't turn out as well as it could have.

This is probably my least favorite Ellusionist/Brad Christian video, but if you want an introduction into 2 Card Monte, it's not a bad place to start. Just my opinion.

kevsashark
Preferred Member

Postby FlipBack » Jun 13th, '06, 16:49

Actually if E wants to include videos of amatuers performing the effects on the video then they should have it as an extra rather then it being the focus of the whole video.

FlipBack
Preferred Member

Postby kevsashark » Jun 13th, '06, 19:25

That's a good point. Perhaps have it as a section you could go watch but keep the major focus on a professional doing it and on the teaching of it.

kevsashark
Preferred Member

Return to Archived Reviews - now closed

Manufacturer of modern & unique magic apparatus! MagicWorld Magic Shop for Magic Tricks Visit Magicbox for all the latest and best effects! Best prices around! World-Of-Magic, Suppliers of quality Magic Worldwide A web site set up to sell my book, THE STRIPPER DECK, and future magical/mentalism titles. Best prices around!