Magic With Rubberbands

Bought a trick? Let us know what you think!
About to buy a trick? Be sure to read our Archived user reviews here and in the three new sections above before buying!

Moderators: nickj, Lady of Mystery, Mandrake, bananafish, support

Playing Cards for Magicians MagicWorld Magic Shop for Magic Tricks Dude That's Cool Magic World-Of-Magic, Suppliers of quality Magic Worldwide Best prices around! Web Design for Magicians

Postby TheOldForum » Jan 1st, '02, 02:25

Name: Magic With Rubberbands-voulume 1
Price:$20-25
examinable:All tricks that are taught in this video are.
Restart: some can, and some can not.
What you get:
In this video you learn over a doezen tricks that can be done with rubberbands. In the video it does ask you to use very very thin rubberbands but I have found out that for the most part any rubberbands can be used unless they are way too thick. I feel that it is worth the price. It gives you something to open up with rather than just card tricks.
8/10.

Last edited by TheOldForum on Jan 1st, '70, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.
TheOldForum

Postby TheOldForum » Jan 22nd, '02, 22:12

Name:- The Band Shark. The Dan Harlan Video Vol.1
Magic with Rubber Bands by Dan Harlan Vol.2
Ditto Volume 3
Price $24.00 each
I've recently purchased all three of these videos. My interest in rubber band magic started with Crazy Man's Handcuffs and was further stimulated by George Murray's Linking Rubber Bands.
All three Videos are excellent although in my view Volume 1 gives best value for money with 13 tricks expertly demonstrated and taught with no gimmicks-just superb handling. There are also two bonus routines and Dan's teaching of 'Tame Cards' is worth the price of the video.
Volumes 2 & 3 are produced by L & L publishing and are considerably shorter in length and in content but are still full of quality rubber band routines.
Rubber Band magic has a lot to recommend it-the props are small,light and cheap and some of the effects-especially the penetrations are superb.
Highly recommended if you're interested in Band Magic.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Bill Parky']

Last edited by TheOldForum on Jan 1st, '70, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.
TheOldForum

Postby MagicIain » Jul 23rd, '04, 16:57

Just been looking at emagictricks and noticed the Dan Harlan DVD series on rubber bands.

The two reviews above are kinda well, small... anyone own them or do much rubber band magic? I do Ammar's CMH at the moment, and it gets superb reactions. Normally if any of the specs ever see me again, I'll get asked to repeat it for them "so their mates can watch."

The thought of doing half a dozen tricks with rubber bands really appeals, as it's unusual for someone to do impromptu magic that isn't card or coin related.

The thing is, if I buy this DVD (or indeed the whole set), is it merely a dozen ways to achieve the same outcome? I mean, once a spec has seen CMH, and then maybe connecting the bands together again, surely there's nothing else left to do?

Once you've seen one penetration (!), you've seen them all...!

MagicIain
Advanced Member

Postby bananafish » Jul 23rd, '04, 17:06

The first one is excellent

http://www.talkmagic.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1714

and I still regularly do a few things from it. As for the other two, I am constantly thinking about getting them, although I do suspect that there are only a few things from each that I would actually do on a regular basis.

When I do a magic band routine (Japanese Elasticated Transmorphing devices) at the moment , I usuall do CMH, a nice linking bands routine, ring rising up band, and possibly band through thumb (it fits in with the transmorphing theme).

hhmmm. now I want 2 and 3 again...

bananafish
Veteran Member

Postby IanKendall » Jul 23rd, '04, 22:46

I used to be obsessed with rubber band magic (around 92-95) and would always be seen with a bunch of bands on my wrist. Even today (and right now) I have a dozen bands in my back pocket.

I bought the Band Shark when it first came out. It's a while since I've watched it, but there are some moves and routines on there that I've been using ever since. A couple of them (p'link springs to mind) were hard to transpose to a left handed handling, and there are better ways to break and restore a band, but on the whole it is a very nice video.

It's worth noting that Setterington's penetrating bands (hijacked by Ammar as CMH) is not on the video, as it only has Harlan's own creations. I've not seen the three volume set, but I understand that there are routines from other people on it.

There are two other routines on the tape; a rather convoluted wild card routine that covers a table, and a linking ring and linking rope routine that has some interesting moments.

On the whole a very worthwhile tape for anyone who wants to learn band tricks, but does not want to do the same as everyone else. And it's a darn site cheaper now, too (the youngsters might not remember when A-1 videos were 45 quid each...)

Take care, Ian

IanKendall

Postby Mandrake » Jul 24th, '04, 12:04

(the youngsters might not remember when A-1 videos were 45 quid each...)

So very true! I can remember when Gone With The Wind was first being shown on TV, She Who Must Be Obeyed wanted it recording but blank 4 hour tapes were as rare as rocking horse apples. It took me 3 days of searching around and I think I paid just under £15.00 for the tape which probably equates to three times that in today's prices. And, as far as I know, she's never watched the @#*% tape!!!

Mandrake
'

Return to Archived Reviews - now closed

Manufacturer of modern & unique magic apparatus! Aeternum Servare Secreta UK's Online Magic Tricks and Jokes Shop offers kids and beginner magic tricks and jokes. A web site set up to sell my book, THE STRIPPER DECK, and future magical/mentalism titles. Best prices around! Sorcery Shop - Home of the ITR Visit Magicbox for all the latest and best effects!